Sign in to follow this  

Piston Comes Apart in Cylinder Speaking of Suzuki Curse!!

I bought this stock RM 250 that was owned by Pro Action suspension with about 20 hours on it , exelent condition. Well about the forth time riding the bike which was on Labor day. The bikes piston leterally fell apart in side the cylinder and bent the crank rod, this all happened on about a 90 foot triple, well any ways I dont remember a thing because I had a concussion. I just can't belive why a piston would fall apart, it seemed to break evenly around the top of the piston, which I think that the piston was defective.

I was not baggin on em, I was just wondering why a piston would do this and if any one has heard of this, because I cant find any one aroud where I live that can give me an explanation. I have lost my confedence in the bike, and if I knew or had a good idea to what happend it would make me feel better, when I ride it again.

Where exactly did the piston break? Right where the ring is?, above, or below where the ring goes?

I've heard of the crown's of pistons breaking, but never the top part cracking or breaking. :cry:

:cry:

Replace it and ride it again. You bought a used bike and since there isn't an odometer on the bike you are going on what the other person says. Pro Action or not anything could have happened to that bike in 20 hours. Freak piston? Improper break-in? Improper warmup? Improper install? Anything can happen.

I've done the shattered skirt. Years ago, my friend a mechanic put me on his CR125. "Hmmm, it's getting louder, the piston is getting loose and is probably going to blow." I rode about 5 minutes and the bike felt like it ran out of gas, then I heard a tinkling sound. The piston skirt was shattered.

You made a good case for replacing the piston on any used 2-stroke.

Yeah, those RMs were cursed--in the early 90s

Were they?

Here's a pic of my piston out of my '95 RM 125, keep in mind this piston has about 35+ hours on it!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the piston DID have a good carbon pattern on top(= good jetting), but I sanded that off(following to manual's instructions).

perfectpiston.jpg

:cry: :cry:

If I remember correctly, with a stock piston you can fire the bike up and ride, but the Suzuki manual recommends replacement of the piston at 20hrs.

I talked to Wiseco, and their forged piston will last about 40 hrs.

The forged piston will seize, however, if the bike is not warmed up completely before riding.

Good idea to replace the piston on *any* used 2-stroke, IMO.

Okay? :cry:

Sh^t happens, to every bike, not just suzuki, so IDK why everybody's baggin on em! :cry: :cry:

:cry::lol: :lol:

No kidding.

Suzuki curse? :cry: Sounds more like Caveat Emptor when you

buy a USED bike.

"Yeah, it was owned by a little old lady that only drove it to the

grocery store and church on Sundays".