Sign in to follow this  

My X leaves oil puddles - does yours?

I keep finding little puddles of oil under my rear sprocket when the bike is just sitting there. I wipe it up and it comes back. My theory ... over oiled airfilter leaks into air box and oil eventually dribbles out the little spitoon gizmo in the air box (which is directly above the chain). The oil works its way down the chain and onto the floor. Anybody else experience this? Just curious.

Thanks! :cry:

I have noticed same oil puddle. The oil that leaks from my air box travels down the bottom of the swingarm and drips on the floor from near the rear axle.

I run my 250X hard on hare scrambles and enduros. I change the oil after each ride so I never have a concern with low oil levels.

you do not need to oil your filter or full your crankcase that full that it is drooling down in the air box-----thats way to much oil and costing you power and can suck oil into the top of the motor and start oil blowing bye the ring and realy make a mess,-------i get bikes in my shop all the time that have owner over oiled top end problems and valve issues ----------but then you will see a bike with 350 hrs on it with a perfectly sealed ring and no valve problems and runs great, because it was never allowed to pull oil in the motor ,------you need to not flood these things with oil !!!

Are you keeping the crankcase breather line drained? This clear line lays on the crankcase above the countershaft sprocket and needs to be uncapped and drained periodically. Check your manual for more details.

Terry,

Your theory is 100% correct. It does'nt harm anything; it only makes a mess. I hang my newly oiled filter overnight and let the excess drip out before installing it back in the airbox. Mine doesnt spew on the floor anymore.

Derik

Way too much oil guys. The foam is what does the filtering, not the oil. The filter just needs a light film of oil so it's "sticky" and makes the dirt cling. After applying the oil, the filter needs to be wrung out before installation. If it's oiled excessively or dripping with oil, your bike will run very rich and not perform properly.

I used to get little puddles under my rear sprocket too... but it wasn't oil, it was a very thick, clear gooey liquid??? I followed the gooey trail and it went up the swingarm and into the airbox drain hole thing. &%$#@! would that be???