Sign in to follow this  

loose rear sprocket bolts

I have some black Sunstar-Z sprockets on my 450. The rear bolts keep coming loose. This is a little scary. I can just see the thing flying off and going into my left leg like a throwing star. Anyway, I used some loctite so hopefully they'll stay tight. Anyone else having this problem?

mine come loose constantly after I tore apart my rear hub because of this...I put new bolts and nuts in and loctited them but they still come loose after only like a 30 minute moto :cry:

do you guys remember to tighten on the nut and not on the bolt, maybe it obvious to you but you can't tighten it probably if you do it on the bolt.

I have never had a sproket bolt comming loose.

I had my hub shatter over the weekend, but all the bolts were tight, and most of 'em stayed on the taco'ed sprocket(Renthal). In my experience, the chain simply pulled the (now dis-mounted) sprocket over the swingarm, through the axle (tore the sprocket to achieve this), and wedged it against the spokes. No flying star :cry:

I thought this was a 1 in 1000 problem till I changed my tire last night and I could wiggle my sprocket by hand.I was about 1 hour from disaster :cry:

I had the same problem with my 04. I went down to the local nut and bolt wholesale supply house. I bought 3/8" coarse thread bolts with the original equipment angle on the head of the bolt. I tapped out the hub to 3/8" coarse thread in which you don't really need to drill the holes out, I put the sprocket and the bolts together on the hub and it has NEVER came loose,and I ride quite a bit.

I went as far as to purchase a new rim with hub setup from Honda and on a new hub I tapped it out to the 3/8" and it is working fine. So is my old wheel setup.

If any of you guys are interested, I'm willing to sell the complete OEM wheel, hub, spokes and all. This wheel is not perfect, the rim has been ridden THROUGH THE ROCKIES that is the Rocky Mountains, the hub and spokes are just fine. It comes with a sprocket 45 tooth steel and no brake rotor, bearings are in excellent shape.Make me a reasonable offer.

Good Luck. Rob

Had the bike for a year. Gone through 4 sprockets. Broken 5 sets of sprocket bolts. Retighten the bolts after every hour or so of riding. Figure I'll be dealing with this stupid a$$ed problem for the rest of my bike's life. :cry:

I read a post a while back where a guy said he was using yzf bolts and nuts.He said bigger and stronger and a bigger allen head which is easyer to tighten.Remember to use locktight, i use red myself.

I once changed my rear spocket, torqued it to spec, but didn't use loctite. It came loose and snapped my hub after a few days.

I now use blue loctite every time and I have never had a sprocket come loose again. In fact I use loctite on almost all bolts on the bike and it works great.

I have a CRF450R and a YZ250F. The Honda bolts generally do not work themselves loose, but the Yamaha bolts work loose quite often. If you ride a Yamaha, you should be using loctite on all bolts.

To begin with mine was fine. However, after replacing it, I started having problems also - loose all the time (always use loctite). A couple of times I even lost bolts. I checked it constantly, one ride I forgot to check between practice motos and - kaboom all I heard was a metal breaking and grinding.

Didn't know what it was at first, I thought the piston valves, etc. went bye,bye.

Looked down there and the sprocket was off with a portion of the Hub broken off.

I replaced the back wheel, sprocket, and all bolts. Weird thing is, since replacing everything this time around, it's all stayed tight for at least 30 hours :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Who knows, but I suppose I will replace bolts along with sprocket from now on?

I know this will cause a controversy - but many friends of mine with CRF's have replaced the Honda nuts & bolts with Yamaha nuts and bolts with good results- use locktite and let sit for 24-48 hrs. :cry:

Those of you using red loctite on the sprocket bolts, how hard are they to remove? I would think they would twist off or the heads would strip out!?

Glad to know i am not the only one with this problem. We have had the problem on CRF's and YZF's. We got the bolts from Rocky mountain i think. Their bolts are distorted heavily before you put them on. With loctite and these bolts we haven't had them come loose. Does anyone worry about cleaning the head and the hub before they put it back toghether.

Loctite can be broken with heat. I think red breaks down around 212F about what boiling water is. Take a torch to it for a few seconds and the nuts should come right off.

I use the red all the time,not any harder to get off then blue.I use the red because i dont want to have to buy a hub eather.The key is to let it dry over night,dont just put on and go riding because it wont have time to set up.Good luck :cry:

I have a friend that rides an '04 YZ450. I tried to use his bolts once, but they aren't even close to being right. Which ones are you using?