Sign in to follow this  

Give me the tips.....'02 DRZ400E

First, it's nice to be here and thanks in advance for your help. Im a 36 year old former desert racer (now out for fun) who recently wised up and sold my '99 YZ400F. In turn I bought my dads '02 DRZ 400E, which slid through the system and is now registered street legal here in CA. With exception to the low-profile aftermarket lighting kit, it's bone stock (on its 3rd tank of gas!). And while I dont expect it to hit like the YZ, I would like to make a few changes and basically uncork this thing a bit. I need tips! I read the other post including the modification sticky here in the DRZ forum, but that mostly showed what people did to their bikes, but not what "needs" to be done. Any help would be awesome! :cry:

Welcome, take a look at the site below.

You have the good carb already in the E.

A couple upgrades off the top of my head, Im sure others have more to add.

Pull out snorkle, Full Yoshi Exhaust & rejet to burned's specs

Hotcams - intake, exhaust, or both

436 or 450 bore kit

www.drz.info

First, it's nice to be here and thanks in advance for your help. Im a 36 year old former desert racer (now out for fun) who recently wised up and sold my '99 YZ400F. In turn I bought my dads '02 DRZ 400E, which slid through the system and is now registered street legal here in CA. With exception to the low-profile aftermarket lighting kit, it's bone stock (on its 3rd tank of gas!). And while I dont expect it to hit like the YZ, I would like to make a few changes and basically uncork this thing a bit. I need tips! I read the other post including the modification sticky here in the DRZ forum, but that mostly showed what people did to their bikes, but not what "needs" to be done. Any help would be awesome! :cry:

Look at my signature, it made mine totally kick ass! Thanks to the guys here. You dont have to worry about the Carb since you alreay have one and your Base gasket is good.

Look at my signature, it made mine totally kick ass! Thanks to the guys here. You dont have to worry about the Carb since you alreay have one and your Base gasket is good.

Corona eh? Im in Norco! I'm a true idiot when it comes to wrenching! Perhaps you can recommend a good local mechanic? I just pulled the seat and want to remove the snorkel, but then it says I'll need to re-jet, and thats when I screw things up!

Looks like I can do a full Yoshi set up for $539 including the new jetting plus $210 labor (Im not a wrencher!). That's at Corona Motorsports. Does that sound about right?

2001, makes no difference on the performance,, It has an older design ACCT that has failed with some consistency. I'd suggest having it replaced with a Manual CCT, or,,,at the very least a '03 or later ACCT.

That seems like a lot for an exhaust system install..... :cry: If they will continue jetting it for that price until it is right, then $210 is not bad,, if they are just installing what they THINK is the right jetting, then your on your own.. Too much. If you have some ability, and basic tools,,,The job is well within most riders ability :cry:

If not and you want it installed....... Then purchase the parts and take them to the shop.... Besides the Exhaust,, you'll want a JD jetting kit From here at the TT store and a Pilot air screw (PAS) from Sudco. Talk with the shop, and see if they are familiar with these items, and or, comfortable installing and TUNING with them.. Some shops are strictly parts replaceers,, some actually have technicians on hand.. Just depends.

2001, makes no difference on the performance,, It has an older design ACCT that has failed with some consistency. I'd suggest having it replaced with a Manual CCT, or,,,at the very least a '03 or later ACCT.

That seems like a lot for an exhaust system install..... :cry: If they will continue jetting it for that price until it is right, then $210 is not bad,, if they are just installing what they THINK is the right jetting, then your on your own.. Too much. If you have some ability, and basic tools,,,The job is well within most riders ability :cry:

If not and you want it installed....... Then purchase the parts and take them to the shop.... Besides the Exhaust,, you'll want a JD jetting kit From here at the TT store and a Pilot air screw (PAS) from Sudco. Talk with the shop, and see if they are familiar with these items, and or, comfortable installing and TUNING with them.. Some shops are strictly parts replaceers,, some actually have technicians on hand.. Just depends.

Thanks Bronco78 -

That price did include the jetting adjustments and air screw etc. I'll check the classifieds for the Yoshi pipe as well. I did just purchase a power tip off ebay last night before I thought of doing the whole pipe. Maybe I try that first with the 3x3 and see if I feel a difference. :cry:

An E already has the 3x3 opening in the air box, simply remove the snorkel.

You might ask aging on the jetting.. Unless, they are familiar with the DRZ, and are up to date on correct jetting,, Most likely they do not know about James Dean and his needles, and the PAS,, is not simply a idle screw,,, the Pilot Air Screw takes place of the Pilot jet,, and is adjustable. Also an extended fuel screw for tuning is highly recommended. Another item I doubt your local shop is planning on using. But ask,, they may be?