Sign in to follow this  

Motomaster Race Brake Caliper Braket Swap? Master Cylinder ? *Update*

Hey guys...

Ok #1....

So I bought this brand new MM Race Brake setup slated for use on my DRZ400 recently. Only thing is it actually is a YZ / WR kit. I snatched it up anyways as a good price is hard to find on a MM Race Kit.

The only difference from it and the DRZ kit is the relocation bracket is a different model.

I really would like to trade it for the right one but the chances of finding someone with a DRZ bracket and in need of a YZ one is about nil.

Motomaster corporate suggested I contact White Brothers and see if they would take a swap. But since they don't deal with the public I am kinda out of luck there I believe.

Any suggestions on getting the bracket swapped? Maybe a mission for the TT store? I really don't want to buy an extra bracket as I don't have a Yamahama and have no need for the bracket. ( Even though the DRZ is blue but thats just to trick and fool everyone into thinking its a Yama ). :cry: :cry:

and #2....

What about master cylinders? I am thinking Brembo radial master cylinder would be good bang for buck. Any suggestions on model / type and specs? Just need something that will work killer at a decent price. Or should I go with something else?

Any suggestions appreciated. :cry:

Thanks Much

Nate

Can't help you with the bracket, other than maybe have a machine shop fab one up for you based upon the existing bracket but with the mounts spaced for the DRZ for obvious reasons.

Another option, buy the correct bracket, and see if you can shlep the one you have on eBay.

I just did the master cylinder homework, and learned one thing...there are lots of opinions out there.

You can get Brembo radial jobbers starting at $200 (KTM Hard-parts)to the sky's the limit.

You can get standard units from brembo for starting around $70 (Yoyodyne).

Darrick mentioned something about late model KTM-Vertimati MC, but I did not check into that.

I have had lots of brake issues (to go as slow as me, you gotta have good brakes!) and they have always been related to the caliper (Braking). But when they work right, they are simply the most amazing thing on the bike...(CRF with 16mm Brembo radial), braking wave, galfer line.

I am certain it is the caliper.

For my new DRZ, I am going with Motomaster like you. So I have yet to try the KTM parts MC, but I believe that it may be a 13mm unit, which should suit the Motomaster caliper from what I have read. (The motomaster does not require as much fluid movement I am told)

Good luck and happy hunting. If you find something before I get my stuff (may be weekend after this,,) then let me know what you find.

And always remember, eBay is your friend.

-Mike

Just found out that I believe that the KTM parts MC is a 16mm unit. May be a bit much for the MM caliper.

-MW

16mm is to much.

i use a 14mm honda sport bike master with my motomaster and even its is a touch stiff.works extremely well however and was $10 on ebay. :cry:

I would try your stock 11mm master cyl first before you buy something else. If you end up getting a different one then get a 13mm.

Hrmmm thanks for the suggestions....

Glad I asked... It would have sucked to have made a mistake like buying a 16mm and then eating asphalt on the first application of the brake. :cry: :cry:

The stock master Cylinder off a Honda 400 quad is 1/2"/12mm

It works great with the motomaster caliper.

Get the adjustable brake lever off the new 450 quad ($25)

$110-120 total

I also suggest trying the stock 11mm before going larger.

Anyone know how much different the DRZ master is from the stock CRF master?

I have riden the stocck CRF master mated to a Motomaster setup, and it was rock hard, and took more effort than I would have thought.

Of course, I will try both since I have already ordered the 16mm Brembo radial, but again, on the Braking setup when it is working well, there is nothing that compares it.

Anyway, I may have a 16mm radial master of for sale very soon if it is as "doom and gloom" as everyone here seems to think when used with the MM caliper.

-MW

UPDATE.... A fellow TTer PMed me and said he had a Suzuki MM race caliper bracket and needed the Yamaha Bracket! So we arranged a swap. How is that for luck? I love TT. It just worked out great! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm also interested in the answer to the CRF master size compared to the DRZ. I have a front CRF master and lever, I guess I could just go measure......duh! I'll post my findings. :cry:

16mm is to much.

i use a 14mm honda sport bike master with my motomaster and even its is a touch stiff.works extremely well however and was $10 on ebay. :cry:

And how did you know it will fit ?

im psychic.

:cry:... Let me rephrase that ,

Did you need to work a lot to fit it or was it almost simple as bolt on ? :cry:

(And you have an Akront Q in DRZ forum :cry: )

I would try your stock 11mm master cyl first before you buy something else. If you end up getting a different one then get a 13mm.

A XR650 M/C (and XR400 I think)is 1/2" (13mm).Works great with a Beringer/Moto Master system.You can also use an adjustable lever from an older XR600/250 with it :cry:

A XR650 M/C (and XR400 I think)is 1/2" (13mm).

unfortunately our "xr' m/c are only 11mm here in the states. but i've heard or people using the 1/2" one off a trx quad with success

im psychic.

:cry:... Let me rephrase that ,

Did you need to work a lot to fit it or was it almost simple as bolt on ? :cry:

(And you have an Akront Q in DRZ forum :cry: )

bolt on.

A XR650 M/C (and XR400 I think)is 1/2" (13mm).

unfortunately our "xr' m/c are only 11mm here in the states. but i've heard or people using the 1/2" one off a trx quad with success

Ooops ..here in Europe they are 13mm. :cry: