Sign in to follow this  

450 supermoto to race....03 or 04 Crf450?

Hi all, Just a general question. I just did my last mx race yesterday at hawkstone park here in England (it's 1 hell of a track!) And i am selling my Rm125 04. I got offered a few 450 Hondas as i am definatly going supermoto next season...BUT do i save up the extra cash and go for the 04 or go for a 03. I hear the 03 is a lot more tame and would probably suit motard better? the price difference is about $600 to you lot....400 quid in my money :cry: I plan to buy a mx bike and convert it myself to a Supermotard.

Anyone race both or owned both?

Is the YZF450 any good? I am not really thinking about one plus they have a 4 speed box which i am not keen on.

I will be using the bike just to race in supermoto may do the odd motox meeting on it as well.

Thanks in advance for the feedback :cry:

You want to use the '02 rear linkage and '02 cam (if it's a basically stock motor) so I went ahead and bought an '02 and saved a little more $.

oh right lol. Why is this then?

Basically i have 2 freinds selling 450's 1 03 and 1 is a 04 i know the history on both and i know both know how to maintain a bike. I don't really fancy buying a 2nd hand thumper from somebody i really don't know and have it let go on me. If you get where i am coming from on that?

In that case get the '04 since it has higher compression piston and different ignition and runs better. Most of the top guys run an '04 with '02 rear suspension linkage. There is a story on Bostroms championship bike with this setup in the second issue of SuperMoto Racer magazine.

OK Greg thanks for that.

I'll have to subscribe to this supermoto racer mag....they even rave about it here and it's going for like $15 a issue on ebay!!! and no i didn't just make that up!

i hear a subscriptions only 25?!

this is the 03 i am looking at...renthal top clamp and fatbars with a dep silencer just had a new piston in it and valve check...what do you think...seems pretty mint to me and the owner owns a shop. I just gotta convert it which i can do quite easy with wheels and a 320 disc and new caliper. far as i know thats all i will need?

950315.JPG

from the front ....my Rm should be gone by the end of the week so hopefully will get this nxt week. just still unsure if i should take a small loan (and i mean small) and get the 04 instead! 950322.JPG

You want to use the '02 rear linkage and '02 cam (if it's a basically stock motor) so I went ahead and bought an '02 and saved a little more $.

Why the '02 rear linkage? Is it to lower the bike down some?

blimey...you know your stuff!

Well i sold my 04 Rm125 zook today...so gonna give him a ring see if i can pick it up nxt week :cry:

The all i need is to save for them motard wheels...should make the grid for the season opener hopefully :cry: