Sign in to follow this  

who uses fork support to tie bike down?

Any opinions on the Fork Support system which is supposed to be easier on springs and seals. Let me know what your opions are. Here's a link from the on pcracing sells.

web page

I made my own....but yes, they are a good idea.

You can tie your bike tighter, and not keep your suspension loaded.

I used a piece of that plastic wood for building a deck. It's too wide so I cut the rounded edges off long-ways. I use one of the cut off pieces to screw across the wood to form a T. The T is important or you need 3 hands to tie down your bike. With a T it just rests on the tire and fork legs while you put the straps in place, and pull tight.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but my digi-cam is at home.

I bought one from PC racing also. It works great. No problems.

Seems like I am the only one out of my friends using it.

One of them insist it does not do crap. Especially since my seals are starting to seap a bit.

But I still use it.

I made my own....but yes, they are a good idea.

You can tie your bike tighter, and not keep your suspension loaded.

I used a piece of that plastic wood for building a deck. It's too wide so I cut the rounded edges off long-ways. I use one of the cut off pieces to screw across the wood to form a T. The T is important or you need 3 hands to tie down your bike. With a T it just rests on the tire and fork legs while you put the straps in place, and pull tight.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but my digi-cam is at home.

same here, I just make one for each bike we get. I usually use a piece of 2x4 or 4x4 and drill a hole through it to insert a wooden dowel (for the 'T' part).

I used the fort support for some time until it broke (within 6 months). Now, I use a piece of 4x4 and it works great. Plus, who would swipe it from the truck while riding?

I bought one from PC racing also. It works great. No problems.

Seems like I am the only one out of my friends using it.

One of them insist it does not do crap. Especially since my seals are starting to seap a bit.

But I still use it.

Those things dont really do anything. Except possibly allow you to tie the bike down tighter than the springs would allow. But why?

As far as the seals go...just crack the fork bleeders if youre worried about the seals holding pressure.

I used 2X4's for a few years then bought the plastic version. Works great, highly recommend using at least the 2X4 method. Haven't blown a seal (no jokes please) since. :cry:

I use a 6" round piece of PVC. Definitely agree it keeps the bike more stable!

I use one, the only real benefit I can see is that it takes the guess work out of how tight the tie downs should be.

Me and my friend tie our bikes down way different. We put our bikes on our stands, not the side stand but a regular stand, and then have these "things" that are attached to the floor, then come up and goes through the foot peg with a bolt holding it there, then you turn the body of the "thing" and it tightens the bike down, no screwing around with stupid tie downs, absolutly no possible way of the bike falling, and absoluly no suspension compression. :cry:

I use them all the time. For 16 bucks, it's just worth the peace of mind that you're not weakening your fork seals and springs needlessly.

Me and my friend tie our bikes down way different. We put our bikes on our stands, not the side stand but a regular stand, and then have these "things" that are attached to the floor, then come up and goes through the foot peg with a bolt holding it there, then you turn the body of the "thing" and it tightens the bike down, no screwing around with stupid tie downs, absolutly no possible way of the bike falling, and absoluly no suspension compression. :cry:

"thing" == turnbuckle :cry:

Ive had 3, all 3 broke, I use a 4X4 with a strap screwed to it to loop over the fender, it works great.

im with you yamaha i use the quick kick stands and the turnbuckles to the floor and can load 8 bikes and 4 fat tire bikes with no suspension compression at all in my 40' toyhauler-----its the only way to go when you on the road and the bike just sits there as long as you like !!!

it's just worth the peace of mind that you're not weakening your fork seals and springs needlessly.

What a wives tail!! If your seal blows on the way home from a ride, it was already to blow anyway. Do you really think the ride home in the back of your truck puts a greater load on the seals then all day banging away in the desert? And lets not forget the springs, you ride a 4 stroke, it has valve springs, do you adjust the valves so there is no load on any of the springs when the bike sits for a couple of weeks? Do you know that just about any where the piston stops at, there will be a valve open, and that spring will sit there compressed until you start up the bike again...but they seem just fine. If you apply logic, and think about it, this "seals & springs" thing starts sounding a little silly...ok, a lot of silly :cry:

And lets not forget the springs, you ride a 4 stroke, it has valve springs, do you adjust the valves so there is no load on any of the springs when the bike sits for a couple of weeks? Do you know that just about any where the piston stops at, there will be a valve open, and that spring will sit there compressed until you start up the bike again...but they seem just fine.

Well actually...

It's a good practice to put your 4-stroke at TDC whenever you aren't riding it to ease the tension on your valve springs. Also I'm not so sure that everybodies valve springs "seem just fine." Hey Rap how are YOUR valve springs? (hmmm and they were sitting for a while too :cry:)

Sorry to use your misfortune to validate a point Rap, but I thought it applied. :cry:

I used to crew chief for a NHRA team, we ran a 500 cubic inch pro stock eng. I asked our engine builder about releasing tension on the valve springs, he said don't worry, they only fail when cycled at high speed, and with heat. :cry:

I'm just saying don't worry about fork springs & seals. I'm hoping the TV series Mythbusters takes this one on. :cry:

I use the 4x4 block of wood that I found in the garage when I bought my house. I do believe that the block of wood does some good to ease the suspension as well as stabilizing the bike more. :cry:

i got one a while back, before i even had my CRF, really nice....easy on springs and other suspension components and you can hold the bike down REALLY tight without worry of holding the supension bottomed out because the support holds it solid....also if your driving and have to slam on the brakes the suspension on the bike wont compress and have the straps go loose possibly letting go of the bike

Good $15 investment if you ask me, i have had one for over 2 years now i just keep it on the shelf with my 3 straps :cry: