Sign in to follow this  

CRF250x - Lesson in initial set up

Being new to the sport of dirt bike riding, I sometimes learn lessons from others (thanks to TT), and sometimes have to learn the hard way. Have recently purchased an '04 250x.... and took my first ride this weekend! I live in eastern SC and mostly ride sandy, woods trails.

My first 20 miles were a nightmare.... :cry: the front tire kept slipping out at the bottom of woops and pushing though turns. It was like riding on ice. After about 20 miles of trying to figure what the "rider's" problem was (that's me), I decided to check the suspension set-up..... it was basically the factory standard on all points. But then I found the problem..... (at the cost of one headlight! and almost a handlebar!)

Anyone want to guess how the bike handles in sand with 20 lbs pressure in the tires? I was amazed what a difference taking the pressure down to 10 (front) and 12 (back).... :cry: I was surprised that I could not find any reference to setting tire pressure for terrain in the manual....

Will be checking the rest of the suspension set up this week....

Great catch on the tire pressure, I would have never thought to check my tires. Nice heads up on that one. Do your tires have tubes in them or did you get the tubeless ones? :cry:

Double check your suspension clicker settings too. Mine were not to manual specs from the factory/dealer.

I ride quite a bit of sand too here in South GA and run no more than 12 in my stock tires. As soon as I wear the rear down some more, (which won't be long) I will buy another set of Maxxis IT's. I had them on my 450 and loved them in this type of soft terrain. The wear characteristics is tons better than Dunlop, bite in the sand is very good compared to the D773's, and they won't chunck like Michelin S-12's if you ever ride hard pack. Believe me! I have spent the cash on those others.

By the way; I was stationed at the base there in Chas. for over 10 years. Where are you riding?

Marshall

We normally ride in the Francis Marion national forest at the Wambaw Cycle trail. It is currently closed :cry: due to tropical storm damage and under-construction with upgrades :cry: Lately we are riding at Manchester State Forest near Sumter, SC. Very similar type trails, but a little less sandy. Have also riden Parson's Mountain (Sumter National Forest);very nice but a little short (12 miles).

Was really amazed at the difference inflation pressure made.... night and day!!! Funny.... looking back on this learning... the first thing my brother-in-law :cry: did when we got our first bikes was to lower the tire pressure. Sometime it takes "doing" to really learn!

Will have to check out the more terrain specific tires sometime in the future.

the tires have tubes... suspect that makes them a little more forgiving when it comes to running lower pressures... but I don't know for sure.

Tree Dodger yuou have been hoocked line and sinkered! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

probably not the first nor last time!!! :cry:

I'm just an old dog trying to keep up with the teenagers! without getting too :cry: 'd up!