Sign in to follow this  

Jumping 2003 WR250F

I have checked all the suspension specs on the WR and they look to be the same as the YZF250. The question I have is it ok to ride on a motocross track and jump the bike? Will it handle the landings. It works great on the flat tops but was wondering about the other type of jumps.

It wouldbe handy to know how much you weigh.

I race motocross on mine all the time. It handles it no worries with standard shock and springs. Im 88kg. I added 5mm of 2.5wt oil to the each front and it made a huge difference in terms of bottoming resistance. The back bottoms only on the biggest jump on the track and its just a mild bottom out. At my weight i really should be on the next spring weight front and rear.

No probs go for it. Consider putting on a YZ rear guard and YZ front number plate as it saves expense if you hit the deck. Also the standard rear number plate holder and reflector mount likes to get chewed by the back wheel on big landings. :cry:

I'm a bit on the heavy side about 250 and 6'1. The bike seems to handle the intermediate stuff fine. The jumps on the track I ride are not huge either. Good suggestion on the fork oil. I was cosidering that as well. I will have to play with the suspension a little bit as well.

What volume of oil does it take in each fork to raise the fork oil by 2.5mm?

I got a plastic cup the same diameter as the inside of my fork and worked out it would take about 15ml per leg to raise it 5mm. So about 7to 8 ml should raise it approx 2.5mm. Sorry but Im in Aus and we use metric. You will need to convert. I know thats a rough guide but its way simpler than pulling the fork legs appart to measure. The result was supurb. Err on the side of conseravatism and add more in a second attempt if necesary. It easy to get in, but not as easy to remove.

Thanks for the info. Most syringes are marked in ml, even here in the US. :cry:

With your size, 250 pounds, you MUST, I repeat MUST, get heavier shock and fork springs if you want to ride much MX. Sooner or later you are going to land hard or case a jump, bottom out your suspension and send shock waves through your spine. Trust me, even at 170 lbs I have done this.

Race-tech's website shows the correct shock spring rate for your bike and weight for desert/enduro/trail and motocross is 5.52 kg/mm compared to the stock spring rate of 4.8 kg/mm. That is a BIG difference. I went from a 4.7 to a 5.0 and noticed a significant difference.

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRateCalculation/dirtspring.asp?brand=Yamaha&yr=2003&ml=WR%20250F&formuse=form1&SpringType=Shock

Race-tech also recommends the heaviest fork springs they have for your weight.

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRateCalculation/dirtspring.asp?brand=Yamaha&yr=2003&ml=WR%20250F&formuse=form1&SpringType=Fork

You don't have to buy Race-tech, but definitely get heavier springs up front and in back. Without them you will not get the height you want on jumps. Your current suspension can not adequately rebound your weight. Most people on this site say that the single best mod you can make to your bike is the suspension. I agree.

Also, turn the high speed compression adjustment on you shock (the red nut outside the brass screw at the top of the shock) in from 1.5 turns (WR setting) to 1.25 turns (YZF setting) when riding MX. Change it back when trail riding. This will soak up the high speed hits better. :cry:

Also make sure you set your free sag to 10mm to 25mm and race sag to 95mm to 105mm. I can't believe you can possibly get below 110mm race sag with your current shock spring without reducing free sag to almost nothing. :cry:

Yeh sorry mate thats just too much weight for them springs. Upgrade your springs and play with the oil height for fine tuning. You wont regret upgrading the springs. PS. keep the originals and when you change bikes you wack the old ones in. There will be a fair chance you can take your springs to your next bike if its also a YZ / WR.

Thanks guys. This info helps a bunch. If I could get out more than once or twice a month I could loose some of this weight. I am already in the processes of upgrading my sons TTR with springs so I will be sure to do my bike next.

I wish I would've had a motocross bike with tricked out suspension the last time I rode my WR250F (September 12th). I haven't ridden since. Coming over a double jump and tried to pass everyone on the first lap (stupid, stupid, stupid). Overshot the landing ramp and landed flat and I don't remember but I was told that I rebounded back up in the air over the bars and shoulder planted into the face of a table top. Resulting in a crushed scapula and excruciating pain, 8 weeks in an immobilized brace and extensive rehab. I may ride again in 6 months to a year, I hope. Therefor if you're riding a WR hard on a motocross track (although it handles very well), spend a few bucks on suspension and not doctor bills. I have since the accident decided to sell my bikes until I am able to ride again. 2004 WR 250F - $4450, 1995 XR250L - $2150, 1974 Kawasaki 900 - $950, 1986 Beta Trials Bike - $650. If you're interested send me a private message. Good luck with your suspension.

Later,

Ty

tyo, sorry to hear that. Hope your rehab goes fast. Just make sure you're healed before you get back on the horse.

Did you get hurt at Midway MX in Mitchell?

I have so far resisted the urge to race. At age 40 with one year of MX under my belt I am having too much fun to get hurt. I have 35 years of missed riding opportunities to make up for and I can't do it in a cast. I may consider trying the +35B and +40 classes next year at tracks I am very comfortable with. The older riders realize they aren't going to go pro and have to work on Monday so they ride around fallen riders instead of over them.

I hope to get a 2005 YZF in the spring with my tax refund (thank you George Bush!) and keep my 2002 WRF for back-up, trail riding, etc. I have too much money into my WRF to sell it for $2500 so I might as well keep it. I am also hoping my 12 and 14yr olds will grow into it soon.

Thanks guys. This info helps a bunch. If I could get out more than once or twice a month I could loose some of this weight. I am already in the processes of upgrading my sons TTR with springs so I will be sure to do my bike next.

Hey you got to make your health a priority. No one was ever lying in a hospital bed wishing theyed worked more or eaten a few extra cheese burgers. :cry:

yes, it was at mitchell. i also heard,and kinda remember, someone stopped his bike behind me to stop traffic from running over me. if you are out there thank you! :cry:

alot of guys would just keep on racing

later

Ty