Sign in to follow this  

05 blown fork seals already??!!

This sucks. New bike with less than 2 hours and I have both forks leaking. I guess the question now is should I have them revalved by someone like factory connection or just replace the seals. Either way it's going to cost me a some bucks. Anyone out there have a recommendation on a suspension shop? I have used pro-action in the past but I think it's time to try someone else.

If the valving has been OK for you so far I would just change the seals yourself. It's not that hard, just need the 50mm wrench for the top.

Look in the manual for help.

Or have you tried the film negative trick.. maybe some dirt is in there?

IMHO....I would just buy the seals and replace them myself..if you have the tools and the technical know how...or someone who might be able to assist you. Fork seals are fork seals regardless of who puts them in...sure there are different manufacturers of seals...but they all work on the same concept. My advice is to make sure you dump the air from the tubes on a regular basis, my '05 CRF had a BUNCH of air in the when I got it and build air very quickly. I put on a set of Motion Pro's pro bleeders...this makes dumping air very quick, easy and fun...lol. And to keep the seals clean..by pulling down the dust seal and keeping the dirt and debris out.

Of course throw all of this out the window if you are looking for a re-valve anyway. I personally find the stock CRF suspension quite nice. Hope this helps.

make sure you at least try to clear out the seals via the film negative method. it worked for me, and its alot quicker and easier than changing out seals that might not be blown. :cry:

I just had a friend redo my forks cause they were leaking, he said they just had some dirt in them.

This is the first time that they have ever leaked and my bike is a 02.

Get the Seal Savers, they work really really good. :cry:

2002 model, original fork seals, disassembled and cleaned 4 times.

All inverted fork bikes will pick up dirt/mud and eventually leak. The sealsavers are as close as you'll get to a fork boot. If your spring rate is too soft for your weight you will encounter leaky/dirty seals more often(from my experience) because the fork travel is reaching the dirtiest spot more often.

use a screwdriver to slide the dust seal down, then slide one corner of the film, or whatever you're using up under the seal. then from there, rotate the fork tube all the way around(on the brake side you can't do this) and then replace the dust seal. i heard that putting a little lithium based grease on the dust seal will trap dirt as well.

Just curious what do you haul your bike with? Is it in a pickup truck pulled down? How far? I blew out about 4 sets of seals before I realized I was pulling down to hard and they were blowing. It was because I was soft straps and pulling the front to far down because the soft straps didnt have the pull to hold the bike tight enough.

i usually carry mine in the back of my pickup. but it really doesn't take that much to keep the bike tied down. i've tried the thing where you use a 2X4 and all that stuff, and it works fine, but i've noticed that they don't take as much pulling on as everyone thinks to keep them in there. :cry:

use a screwdriver to slide the dust seal down, then slide one corner of the film, or whatever you're using up under the seal. then from there, rotate the fork tube all the way around(on the brake side you can't do this) and then replace the dust seal. i heard that putting a little lithium based grease on the dust seal will trap dirt as well.

Before you push the dust seals back in place spray a little silicone lubricant on them. You'll be able to push them in with your hand and they'll come out much easier the next time. I use this stuff from Honda but anything similar will work.

Another thing to check is that something didn't ding the slider tube(shiny one). I had this happen on an older bike and it kept ripping the seal. I used up 2 seals and then took it in. They fixed the ding and all was good.

Fork seals SHOULD NOT let dirt bridging occur. This is not what they are supposed to do. Film negative trick works temporarily, but why should you have to do it in the first place.

Good Luck

If you haven't had a fork seal go bad on you…you haven't been riding long enough. All a fork seal is, is a formed piece of rubber....time alone can break done rubber. Time, use and the elements we ride in will break them down that much quicker.