Sign in to follow this  

Finally checked my valves--thoughts on results.

I have 520mi on my 04' and finally sucked it up and checked the valves. First off, damn that was pretty easy, secondly they were all in spec. Should I expect to see them out of tolerance yet or are there to many variables to guess at when they will be out of spec?

:cry:

I checked mine over the weekend as well. Same thing here, all in Spec. I suppose I am wondering the same thing.

Shane

I have 520mi on my 04' and finally sucked it up and checked the valves. First off, damn that was pretty easy, secondly they were all in spec. Should I expect to see them out of tolerance yet or are there to many variables to guess at when they will be out of spec?

520 miles on a trail ridden WRF is called "just broken in". keep using good oil and continue changing it out on schedule.

if you really want to play with your valves, just buy some red or green plastic to hang on your bike. once you do that, in a week you'll need to reshim and then in a month you'll need new valves -- which won't be available at your dealer. supposedly all that "valving around" is a lot of fun, but i don't feel like i'm missing out.

:cry:

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f, >3000 miles on original valves and shims.

As usual, thanks wrooster.

I was actually quite concerned, knowing that the manual told me to check them at 300mi, I just didn't feel like I had rode it much. I finally let my concern for my engine over-ride my fear of screwing something up!

I'm glad i'm missing out on all that "fun" as well.

wrooster, you have NEVER had to adjust your valves? Wow, that's pretty impressive! :cry:

I have only had to adjust my exhaust valves once.

70 hrs, on 04 YZF 250, all MX or MX practice and the valves were all in spec.

wrooster, 03 04 and now 05 250fs and Ive never had to adjust valves. We put over 70 motocross races plus practices and the Desert 100 race on our 04 and it still was within specs.

Im gettin kinda tired of checkin and have been thinking about quitting. Might give me more time to drink beer. :cry:

BTW my 01 WR 426 has over 4000 miles and still hasnt gone out of spec.

Later,

Eric

From my obersavations these bikes dont need much adjustment at 11000 km my inlet valves where only a fraction under i had them adjusted i check them about every 2000km.i dont race so the engine is not being pushed REALY hard.i do change the oil about every 500km sooner if i give it a hard time

befor i got hurt and that was in july i checked my vavles and they were all in spec. and i rode the bike hard for practice and races. i guess use yamaha riders are missing out on all the "fun" :cry:

I had the dealer check mine this summer (for peace of mind) while doing some other work. The bike probably has 40 hours - 10 trail/30 MX. All in spec. The dealer mechanic told me I was wasting my time getting the valves checked. He has only seen one YZF out of spec on a guy's bike that was ridden above 9,000 RPM (like a 2 smoke) all the time.