Stonyford Experience

? Wow!

I had the opportunity to ride Stonyford for the first time this weekend! I rode with the TBSA dirtbike club. A group of 8 guys that had been riding for 20 year or more. ?

Wow! I picked up a number of hints to help me go faster! They were great sharing little tidbits! By Sunday afternoon I could "almost" keep up! ?

There are a few hill climbs that were so steep, and so loose, and so nasty, I COULD NOT get up! After 3 trys I had to have someone else ride my bike up while I walked. ? I never had that happen at Foresthill or Georgetown!

Stonyford is GREAT!......HUGE!.....Varied types of riding! Woods, Hill Climbs, Water Crossings, Desert two track, Fire Roads, Tight switchbacks! ? I WILL BE BACK! ?

Thank you TBSA! ???

I aggree, Stoneford is great!!! ? I would like to up more often. My husband I don't know it very well and it seemed like you can easily get lost up there. We usually make twice a season with a friend that knows it very well. I could defintitly get myself in trouble there because things are not usually marked. Do they even make maps for that place? I love Stonyford when it is muddy. ?

Maps are available at the USFS station in Stonyford, right where you turn left and head out of town. If you aren't familiar with the place, you'll be glad you have the map, cuz like it was said above, "the place is huge!".

Maps are available at the USFS station in Stonyford, right where you turn left and head out of town. If you aren't familiar with the place, you'll be glad you have the map, cuz like it was said above, "the place is huge!".

are the trails/intersections marked well enough for a map to be useful though?

? Ever hear the thought, "its 90% rider, 10% bike"?

Well.......THE BEST RIDER had a stone stock XR650r. He was missing 4 spokes on his rear wheel. The rim was cracked, kinda looked like a potato chip.......And he blew by everyone!

This guy would smoke through the woods....fireroads....everywhere! NOONE could keep up! ?

? Ever hear the thought, "its 90% rider, 10% bike"?

Well.......THE BEST RIDER had a stone stock XR650r. He was missing 4 spokes on his rear wheel. The rim was cracked, kinda looked like a potato chip.......And he blew by everyone!

This guy would smoke through the woods....fireroads....everywhere! NOONE could keep up! ?

Bob would have crashed him within a hour ? 99% Bob 1% bike ? Glad you had a good time with the church group ?

There are a few hill climbs that were so steep, and so loose, and so nasty, I COULD NOT get up! After 3 trys I had to have someone else ride my bike up while I walked.

I had some bad luck on those hills also, nasty stuff, finally made it out.

The older guys running sweep for the sheetiron 300 on KTM 950's were

blasting up those hills without hesitation, on a 450 lb bike no less.

A couple of them blasted by me & recon wheelieing up the hill while

we changed his flat. ?? :cry:

You should do the 300 from stoney to ft bragg & back next may, great ride.

? Gentlemen,

Momentum is everything! ?

On that hill climb I couldn't complete, Mr. 650 took my bike back down the entire hill.......then came back up BLAZING in 2nd gear......Full throttle.

While I was trying to pick the BEST line in 1st gear getting all wheel spin and no traction,.... he came up..... all bent out of shape, in the worst possible area ( 2ft boulders).....at 30 mph! He blew over the lip like an astronaut! Handed the bike back to me and said, "phew, that bike is fun!" ?

? Gentlemen,

Momentum is everything!

Exactly! Too slow and you either get a bunch of slip and drop it, or you hook up hard and she bucks you off like LITTLE YELLOW JACKET (2 Time PBR Bull of the Year) right over the back fender ?. I've learned to just blaze up this stuff faster than you'd really like to, or you just won't make it up.

In the desert down south, I rode hillclimbs that were much bigger than the ones up here, but they were consistent, all sand and you just blaze right up them pinned. Up here, the shale, switchback effect, boulders, ruts, and every other unholy thing that one could imagine, present some mighty challenging hillclimbs. ?