Sign in to follow this  

bad speedometer gage

Well I had been riding for 3 hours at around 55-60mph when my speedometer and odometer stop working. My tach gage and temp gage still work through. I'm probley going to end up buying a new gage but was wondering if anybody had any ideas I could try as I have no idea how to fix it my-self. Thanks

It may not be your speedometer.

Check the cable that goes from the front wheel to the speedometer. It may have come loose or snapped. Also, remove the front wheel and check the speedometer drive gear.

Ride on

Brewster

I checked the cable and its not broken or snaped. However is it possible for it to just fail anyway? I might just try getting a new cable as those are cheap.

Put the bike on a stand with the front wheel in the air. Make sure the cable is engaged in the drive gear and spin the wheel while holding the cable. If it turns with no skipping its ok. You can use a small flat screw driver to turn the speedo to see if the odometer moves. You can't turn it fast enough by hand to for speed to register. Is it a mechanical or electronic display?

Is this a KLR? The same thing happened on mine. If you recently took off and installed your front wheel, you may have buggered up the drive (like I did). There is drivering with ears on it in the drive that mates the wheel to the worm-gear drive. If you install it incorrectly, the ears can bend back as the wheel spins and they won't engage. I took the drive apart, pounded the ring flat and made sure everything fit correctly when I put it back together. Problem solved.