Sign in to follow this  

DOT or non DOT? that is the question

Hey everyone, sorry about the bad Shakespeare humor. Anyway, the trails are going to be closing down here in Colorado pretty soon so I thought I would start riding at some of the local mx tracks. One of them has a harescramble series that I thought would be fun to try. My tires need to be replaced (currently Dunlop 606's) and I was thinking about getting a set of non DOT tires since I would just be riding at a track and then when Spring rolls around get a set of DOT tires.

So is a non dot tire going to be way superior to DOT tire for riding a track or will some of the more agressive DOT tires do ok. I did some searching and found a lot people in my area recommending the Maxxis Maxx Cross I/T and they seem to be pretty well priced. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as always. :cry:

If your only going to be riding off-road no point in using a DOT tire. Get a good knobby for the type of surface you'll be riding on. :cry:

I just put a Maxxis IT on, and so far I like it....I however have been having too much fun with my new supermotard setup :cry: so I don't have all that many dirt miles on it. Go non-DOT for sure, you'll appreciate the more aggressive nature of the tire! :cry:

To be honest I have never worried about the DOT subject. Most cops take one look at the grey beard and leave me alone. I don't speed or ride dangerously so I'm ignored and that's cool by me. prairiedawg :cry:

hmmm, didn't think about using it on-road also. :cry: I only have about 10 miles to make it to my riding spot (rampart range). So you guys ride a non DOT on road with no problems as far as the ride? I'm not worried about getting pulled over. I have never even seen a cop on the roads I'm on. I guess I assumed the on-road handling would be to bad to even consider.

I guess I assumed the on-road handling would be to bad to even consider.

....and if you ride on the street wouldn't these non-DOT tires wear out rather quickly as opposed to Dunlop 606's? :cry:

I have used regular knobby tires on the street and they work OK. For me they have a predictable feel, but you won't be doing any super motard tricks because the traction is lower. They will wear out more quickly, but if you are only on the road to get to your riding spot, it should not be an issue. The motorcycle racers in Baja certainly do well with knobbies on the road sections of the race course. If you use the bike as a commuter, stick with the 606's.

Go with whatever tread you think will work best, non-dot tires do just fine on the street. Not every manufacturer will sink $$ into getting every tire approved by the dot.

the trails are going to be closing down here in Colorado pretty soon

Really? The whole state?

Really? The whole state?

The good trails are in the high country and it becomes a little hard to ride on 10 feet of snow, I think that is whay he is refering to :cry:

Really? The whole state?

Sorry, I should have specified. I live in Castle Rock Colorado :cry: and within 15 miles of my house I ride at about 9500-10000ft. I Think were going to get an early snow but I bet I could ride the local trails for another couple months. I may just be finding an excuse to try my bike on a track since I just got my suspension worked on.

By the way, I decided to go with the tera-flex rear 140/80x18. :cry: Hopefully it will be worth the money.