Sign in to follow this  

no more lurking in the XR forum :)

😢 no longer have to lurk in the backround going over the Xr post just taking in info untill I get one. Finally gots me a '02 XR400, now I can offically start posting. Wanted an Xr4 for a few years now, and finally found a good deal from a fellow TT'er 😢. After riding an XT350 for so long I forgot what its like to ride a real bike...sweet. Well to my first of many questions. I know starting these bikes is a pain..hopefully after the gordan mods it gets a little better, but every few(10+)kicks the kickstart will feel like it Skips? almost like it jumps a tooth 😢. I just let it spring back and kick it again and it is fine. Anybody else have this happen?

Mike

Welcome!!!! As far as your ?, Make sure you start at TDC and kick through each time you are going to start it. If you do, kick starting should never be a problem. If you already do this....well can't help. Sorry. Have fun!!! 😢

I have yet to use the decompression lever but here is how I start mine. Choke all the way on and calmly kit it a few times basically pumping it up to top dead center. You will feel the resistance. Kick it like you mean it. Then repeat the process. Once started then half choke for a bit then no choke and hopefully it will idle. After about a five minute warm up you can check the oil. I am sure there are many methods. I have had mine for two weeks and followed the recommendations of the guy I bought it from. Seems to work well. Good Luck. I watched a guy last week try starting his for 10 minutes. I was tired just watching. 😢

Yes thats exaxtly how I start my 400. Just pump it until u feel the compression, then KICK IT! and it should start! When cold in the morning just put it on to full choke and it'll start easy!

Dont worry after a few months you'll get a knack to it, and start it within 2 kicks every time! Like Me!

When you are kicking it, Do you have the bike on the stand, and you are standing on the left foot peg and kicking with your right?

Or do you have it off the stand, standing with your left foot on the ground and kicking with your right?

I find its easer standind on the ground Not on the foot peg. So the suspension's not compressing and flopping around, may loose your balence.

My Brother looks SO Un-coordinated trying to start my 400, He cant do it! he's used to his easy Button!

thanx for the replies, I am mainly trying to find out if anyone ever has their kickstart feel like it skips/jump a tooth while kicking it over?

thanx for the replies, I am mainly trying to find out if anyone ever has their kickstart feel like it skips/jump a tooth while kicking it over?

Yeah, it's the flaw on the older kickstart shafts(fixed on 98 and above models). It happens on my bike, and everytime I cringe thinking that the shaft snapped. So, just kick from TDC(actually, go to TDC, pull decomp and just barely push it over). Stops me from causing possible further damage to the gear and hearing that horrible sound.

Atleast, that's what I always thought, but your bike an 02. Still possibly stripped teeth, but I guess you'll be fine if you go with my method, My bike's ticking along with cr250 forks 😢

Welcome to the most reliable bike you'll ever own.

At some point you'll want to get that bike set up, suspension-wise, for yourself. Makes a big difference.

Nothing left to do now but accessorize! 😢