Sign in to follow this  

yz timing on a 04 wrf250

I was wondering if the exhaust cam needs to be replaced [like on a 03 wr] with a yz cam when you do the yz timing. If so is it worth the expense to acheive the yz timing? How much can I expect to pay for the yz cam and is there a better place to get them than the Yamaha dealer? Is there a market for the old wr cam and where would I sell it if there is? Thanks.

yes you have to get a yz cam.I think they're just over $100 I'm thinking about geting hot cams with adjustable timing,but I would have to buy both cams,I think around $300.I've read they give a good power increase.

Yes you do need a yzf e-cam, I have seen used wr decomp e-cams sell on e-bay for around $50. A new yzf retails around $160.

Thanks for the replies. Will the yzf cam and timing give a noticeable increase in power? Is it low end or high end? How much more with after market cams and is there any decrease in reliability? Thanks so much.

(a) Will the yzf cam and timing give a noticeable increase in power? (:cry: Is it low end or high end?

(a) YES, but it has to be used in conjunction with a free flowing pipe (e.g., stock YZF pipe, Dr.D pipe, etc; stock plugged up WRF pipe is NFG).

(:cry: BOTH. and it improves the mid too. :cry:

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

YZF e-cams are often available on ebay for ~$116+s/h.

Ditto on what wrooster said. There were initial claims with the 01/02 models that YZ timing lost some low end performance. This is likely because the cams were rotated instead of replaced and maybe the timing was not exact. I have not heard these claims with using the "replacement" e-cam and have not felt this personally on my bike.