20mm clamps on 05crf450

Since the 05 CRF450 has it's front wheel moved back 2mm, I'm wondering if people are using the 20mm clamps? This would equal an 18mm offset. At this point I would expect better stability but more effort to turn. Any input?

I have the Fastway adjustable link that allows you to change the offset from 1 to 4mm and I was out testing this weekend to see how it would work on the new bike. I started out on the 4mm just to see how tight the thing could turn (the setting I used on my 04). At 4mm the bike turned really well, actually a couple of times it knifed under. I settled on the 3mm as the best combo of stability and turning. If I were you I would try the clamps and see for yourself. You can always take them off if you don't like them. As for me, I thought it was a big improvement.

Thanks for the reply but an adjustable link (rear suspension) would change the head angle not the offset by raising or lowering the rear of the bike as well as changing the rising rate of the linkage. Both do change the steering charateristics of the bike but in different ways. Going too short on the link would steepen the head angle enough to cause the knife-in you mention. Changing the trail too long (less offset) would require more effort to initiate a turn and lessen knife-in.

Are you saying the stock offset is now 22mm instead of 24mm on the 05?

Yes he is... '05 is 22mm now. I love it.

thats not quit true. the offset on the triple clamps is still 24mm but since they have moved the front wheel axel position 2mm back, it is similar to riding with a 22mm triple clamp on a 04 bike.