Sign in to follow this  

250X Engine Seized?

Today I decided to take the battery out of my 250X just to see how much of a change in weight it would make. I did feel a little lighter but not much. During the ride my bike started to sputter and backfire. Luckily I was able to make it home before it cut out. Now I can't get it started again. I put the battery back in and the bike started a few times but didn't run very well. Now the bike won't turn over at all. I can't even move the kickstarter. I checked the oil and it is still good. Checked the valves last week and they were in spec. Is it possible that I leaned out the bike to much by removing the battery and overheated the engine (I have modified my airbox and it seems that the battery would restrict airflow). Any ideas?

Update

I checked my spark plug. It's a dry dark black color. Valves are still in spec. Now that the bike is cold the electric start can turn over the engine a little but not enough to start. It's too hard to kick over. If anyone has an idea it would be greatly appreciated.

If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. What are some reccomended next steps in diagnosing my engine.

The engine isn't seized because the electric start can turn over the engine a small amount but defienetly not enough to start it (the kick starter is to hard to kick over). Could this be symptoms of bad valves (maybe I'm not checking them correctly) or damage to my cylinder and piston. I was also using my kickstarter for the first time yesterday, could damage to the internals of the kickstarter be causing these issues?

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but if it was me I would pull the plug out and see how it kicks over.

I tried that. I still can't kick it over.

I would pull the valve cover and try to rotate the engine both ways with an 8mm allen through the timing check hole on the right hand side.

If that didn't work I would pull the cam out and try to rotate it.

I would pull the valve cover and try to rotate the engine both ways with an 8mm allen through the timing check hole on the right hand side.

If that didn't work I would pull the cam out and try to rotate it.

I just tried it. It turns both ways with the cam on. I also checked the valves again while I was at it.

.005" Right Intake

.0045" Left Intake

.011" both Exhaust

Thanks for the feed back. Keep it coming.

Does it turn free w/o the plug in?

It's the same with or without the plug in very stiff to turn.

Update

I just removed the right crank cover to have a look at the kick starter assembly. It all seems to be in working order (it was a long shot anyway) back to the drawing board.

Where are you from? Maybe your best bet would be to take it to your dealer and have them check it out. :cry:

I'm at a stand still now. The next step would be to pull the top end off. I don't want to start messing around in there when I'm not really sure what the problem is. Unfortunately I can't even pull the electric start like Throttle Jockey suggested becuase you have to remove the cylinder to get at it.

I think I'll store it for a few months as winter will be here soon then send it to the Honda shop in the early spring. If it is the top end it will be an opportunity to purchase the Thumper Big Bore 270 kit (turn a negative into a positive). Thanks for all of your help and I will update this posting when I have more information.

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Pull the clutch plates out and see if it will turn over any easier. By removing the clutch plates you can isolate the piston/valvetrain from the tranny. That will eliminate one possibility.

Pull the cams out. If its still hard its not the cams. Pull the clutch out. If it still is hard it aint the trany. What is left after that? The piston/crank/rod. elimininate the possibility's one by one. Whatever is left is usually the problem. Good luck.

It got it working!!!

I thought I'd give it one more try tonight..I pulled the kickstart assembly once again, reinstalled it. Problem solved. It seems that one of the two gears on the kickstarter was locking up. I'm not sure if this is a defect or just a fluke. It seemed like a long shot to look at the kick start but it was really the only thing I was doing different with my bike when the problem occured.

Now I just have to wait until next week for the right crank case gasket to arrive and I'll be riding again.

Thanks to all for your help.

Well I have some bad news. Once I reassembled the right crank case. The problem resurfaced. I brought it into the Honda dealer and they are tearing it apart right now. Their diagnosis is that the piston is damaged and that the bearings have went in the lower crank. Once they know the full extent of the damage I will be putting in a claim to Honda. 6 Months of trail riding and the lower engine is shot. They better stand behind their product regardless of the fact the bike doesn't have a warranty. I will post again once I know more.

Today the shop was finally able to pull my engine apart (they were waiting for some tools). Basically all my internals are shot in the engine. I burnt a bearing in the crank and have to replace crank, bearings, piston etc. Total cost of bill including labour $2111.76 CDN. The dealer contacted Honda Canada and they say since this is a competition bike it will not be covered. I argued that I don't race the bike, I do all of the regular maintenance interms of oil changes, valves etc. I called honda myself and got the same explanation. Basically they are saying that I'm fortunate that i've gotten 6 months out of this engine without having to dig into it. Not the answer I'd expect from Honda. Who'd buy an $8500 bike if they knew that honda expects the motor to go in half a year. I figured they would stand behine thier product more than this. Does anyone know of any other avenues I can take?