Sign in to follow this  

Changing ICS springs...opinions??

Just curious what you guys that have gone to softer ICS springs think about it. I have talked to one person who really liked it and wanted to get some more opinions before I do it. What was the effect it had and what size did you go to.

I went softer, then went back. The inner chamber spring contributes more than you would think to the overall spring rate.

If you were to revalve the fork and make it consideralby stiffer, a lighter ICS could help out as long as you figured that into the main spring rate.

Ive messed with this alot. What I found was when I put the lighter (1.61) spring in after upgrading to the .49 springs, I was essentially in the same place as I was at stock with the 2.1 ICS and .47 stock springs. While the .49's helped with the ride hieght, the lighter springs gave away some of the bottoming and overally damping. I could never get it stiff enough damping wise to handle stuff before it just got harsh again.

What ended up helping was my subtank setup. Ive got the plushness I was looking for in braking bumps and bottoming resistance without having to run the clickers in past 6. It seems like anything less than 6 out, the thing is just nasty harsh.

I tried oil levels from 350 to 425 with both the .49 and .47 springs and both 2.1 (stock) and the 1.61 ICS.

I ended up with a bone stock fork with a sub tank and the oil level at 400cc with the .49 springs. It works great too. :cry:

How much do you weigh? What class do you race? What did you do to your shock?

There is lots of controversy as to how much the ICS spring adds to the overall spring rate, i.e., does it affect the entire range of travel, or does it only add substantially in the first part of travel...?

I tend to lean to the first part of travel only, although since my forks have completely different valving specs this factors in heavily. I, like MJ11, have had a fair amount of low speed damping valved in, and I went to the softer ICS spring way after I had it revalved. During the same time period I also lost 45+ pounds...that also had to be added into the equation...

Now, being that I am running a .50 in one side and a .47 in the other side, my "effective" rate for the fork spring is .485 and I am running the softer 1.6 ICS spring. Going with the theory that the ICS affects the overall spring rate throuout the entire range of travel, I would only be "feeling" an effective .465 spring rate, since most experts say the ICS affects the main spring by a factor of .02kg/mm ...it definitely feels stiffer than that...so the battle rages on. :cry:

However, what changing the ICS to a softer spring is the fact that it does indeed lessen the force required to start the fork moving on small impacts that normally might not move the fork as much. Making the fork feel "plusher" or softer on the smaller hack and chop. It definitely improved my ride quality in those conditions and to be honest, I noticed no loss at all in the big hit department. But my valving plays a role in that as well, so take my own setup, tempered with the additional factor that I lost 45+ pounds between the time I initially had the fork dialed in, and you have where I am at now. Someone running the same spring rate and similar valving as me, but weighing 30-40lbs more, may not like the softer ICS.

For $30 they are worth trying because until you feel it in your own hands, it is a very subjective and opinionated setup method. :cry:

For $30 they are worth trying because until you feel it in your own hands, it is a very subjective and opinionated setup method.

I agree with this 100%. And the fact that it only takes about 15 minutes to swap them out too, its worth experimenting with.

I weigh 195 and race vet novice. I can run up front till I get tired :cry:

So the next question is can I change them myself? What are the steps?

For $30 they are worth trying because until you feel it in your own hands, it is a very subjective and opinionated setup method.

I agree with this 100%. And the fact that it only takes about 15 minutes to swap them out too, its worth experimenting with.

I weigh 195 and race vet novice. I can run up front till I get tired :cry:

We weigh the same! Your vet novice speed out in Cali is most likely quite a bit faster than our speeds here. I am betting your setup would work quite well for me now...

I have been thinking about subtanks for a while...where did you get yours from? Didn't you make your own? Want to make another set? :cry:

I have been thinking about subtanks for a while...where did you get yours from? Didn't you make your own? Want to make another set?

Sure :cry:

I built a setup for zerofear66 and he digs his setup.

OK, the remaining question is, how much $$$. PM me if you want...I really am interested in trying a setup...

Yes, you can do it yourself. Do a search for the steps. I'm sure I'll forget something as I haven't done a set in 6 months. Once you do the first one, the second will take 10 minutes. I put the 1.72 springs in mine and I think it did plush up the ride a bit but I am still bottoming occasionally with .50's in and I'm debating to re-install the stockers like ShawnMC did...

PK....get the bottoming collars...or a subtank setup. I am going to try the subtakns myself as I do NOT want to give up the new found plush-a-bility. Even Tim said he wanted his forks set up after riding mine for a few laps until he crashed...he like them. Kudos to Don Lackey for the setup...they work quite well with only an occasional hard bottom, every fork SHOULD bottom once in a while or it is too stiff. (PK knows this, I am just talking in general...)

I installed the bottoming rings and 1.76 springs. It is a little plusher but the bottoming resistece is much improved.

Don't wanna hijack this thread but how hard are the bottoming collars to put in? I feel pretty comfy rippin' these forks apart now. I hadn't considered them but it's a damn good idea...

Rap, sorry to hear about your bike's valve issue and that poor old Tim was in the Saddle when it happened. I raced a cross country race last weekend and I'm still sore from that, I think I was the only dumba$$ out there without bark busters. Gonna hit CRanch this Sunday, I look forward to seein you out there again. When is the Baby Rapture due?

Don't wanna hijack this thread but how hard are the bottoming collars to put in? I feel pretty comfy rippin' these forks apart now. I hadn't considered them but it's a damn good idea...

Its not much more than changing a spring. Its obvious when you get it apart.

Ive seen those in the mags, and I cant tell the trick ones apart from the stock ones.

Can someone tell me what the dimensional differences are? I mean are they thicker, thinner, channels smaller or larger :cry:

Larger outer diameter by a few thousandths....when they plunge into the slightly tapered chamber dealio at full stroke the additional few thousandths really tightens things up quickly, almost making the fork hydraulic lock...

I just changed one of my 1.76 back to stock 2.1.I like the firmer feel in the mid stroke.Before it would just blow through the mid and have a harsh ride.Changeing back feels like a stiffer spring big difference.too mushy for my taste.

Vetrider I couldnt agree with you more. I did the same you you did but I weight 225 and I like the stock ones better also

So now you have one 1.76 and a in the other fork 2.1, is that right? Interesting...