Sign in to follow this  

Changing ICS springs...opinions??

yea one of each just tried the one wasent sure how hard or long would take.Now i can do the other in 10-15 min but im happy so far.It already has a revalve by FC but still thought to soft, then after reading how ics springs control dampening i thought why not.With the change i got by the one spring i think if i put the other in it would be to stiff for the revalve.Should be ok ive ran different rate main springs before.

Just another reason why a rider needs to try for himself, the ICS spring chate is VERY subjective.

Since the ICS does affect the pressure applied to the damping cartridge (it prevents cavitation) I would think they would need to be matched rates in theory, but in real world it may not really matter as long as it puts ENOUGH pressure on the assembly to prevent cavitation.

IT's a bit different than running mixed rate springs like we do, I myself run a .50 in one side and a .47 in the other. Marzzochi did this for years, it's not a problem as the effective AVERAGE is what matters. Modern forks are plenty strong to handle the torsional/twisting stresses...at least for us mortals :cry:

I dont fell like spending 30-40 dollars just to see how it felt.I know they sell a 1.91 but if these two different springs dont hurt anything i should be ok?Any thoughts?Already spent money on the 1.76 FC sugested with stock springs.47 then after reading about how the ics spring could lower your overall spring rate i thought mabey im running a .46 now and i weigh 195 on a 04 450 just didnt fell right,turned great but soft in whoops and big flat landings.

I am not insulting you, sorry if it sounded that way. :cry: :cry: I meant for a rider that has never changed it to softer, the ICS needs to be tried. It is very subjective, I personally like them, much plusher feel to me, but of course the revalving plays a large part too.

Be careful what FC recommends in spring rates, they normally assume the use of thier own valving specs, and the spring may be a bit soft with stock valving.

For 195lbs I would think a .49 is actually a better choice, and with these rates I think you might like the softer ICS. The .49's really hold the front end up a bit better in rolling whoops and such, and for forward sitting agressive cornering where the .47's might dive too much....

...ahhh another suspension discussion, maybe we need to move it to the suspension forum...mods? :cry:

Not insulted just like information.One thing about suspension form is you get advice from people that dont ride what your talking about and they offer misinformation.