Sign in to follow this  

Clarke 3.9 tank question / Acerbis Rally Pro clearance issue

Seems my Clarke tank expanded on me. It has been on my bike one week & still on the 1st tank of gas. Tank fit fine on installation. Rear mount holes lined up good right on the money. I have stock bars with Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards. Clearance at the handguard clamps was close to the tower portion of the tank indentions to begin with, 1/8" clear on both sides last week. Friday grabbed the bars to move bike, bang, handguard clamps hit the side of the tank in the indentions 😢 This sucks! My RAM mount on my GPS even scrubbed the front portion of the tank all of a sudden to. Easy fix there I simply loosened it & moved it. As for the handguard clamps, can't move them. It's is weird how all this has taken place. I removed tank & inspected the underneath "U" mounts on frame, everythign is okay & tank mounts are secure. 😢 My take is the tank expanded for some strange reason up in the neck. I have the one-way vent tube & it is working fine I checked that. The clamps don't hit bad but very noticeable, could puncture tank in a bad fall where handlebars slam to full lock.

Anyone experienced this?

Other than this I like the tank. Anyone interested in some brand new Acerbis handguards with spoilers (yellow with white spoilers). I am going to try the Cycra Pro bends & see if their clamps are better.

Make me an offer on the Acerbis, I payed $105 for them & they have never hit the ground. Heck I have only been off-road maybe 3 times total.

Something else sounds wrong. Plastic doesn't have that much of an expansion rate given the differences in ambient temp. Maybe if the tank was 150 degrees or so and then it would burn your fingers to the touch. I'd take a closer look at everything and then call Clarke. My black one in NC would soak the heat as fast as any other color and mine is perfect. Good luck.

I doubt the tank expanded, would'nt it be possible to do alittle grinding on the handgaurd mounts to gain the needed clearence??. 😢

Yep it did expand not sure why. The last ride I took on it the bike got real hot since I had this bright idea to ride down along the local river which is covered in white loose sand. Long story short I topped a rise & ended up in a sand oasis (similar to the pics you have seen from the Dakar rally) I knew not to stop so I pinned the throttle & made it through. But the bike got kinda hot that day, fan was running full blast & I was worn out myself. Stock trailwings damn near killed me that day! I thought nothing of it at the time but that had to be what did it since that was the last ride. Alot of heat was rising off the bike staight up into the tank. It seems it expanded in the indentions enough to hit the clamps. I can prove it now because this evening I took a simple hair dryer to the locations & with very little effort mashed the indentions back, doubt they will stay. Remember this was a simple hair dryer no big time heat. Not impressed with the Clarke seems cheap! I can mash a fingernail in it anywhere & leave a mark way to soft IMO.

No grinding on the clamps not enough meat on them to begin with plus it might make it worse & sure enough I'd end up with a puncture. As of now after the hair dryer experiment I don't have a clearance issue. I am going to not worry to much about it if it punctures I know what NOT to buy in the future. Calling Clarke will be a waste of time aftermarket companies don't care never have. I have to grind, sand, cut, trim & curse everything I buy even Suzuki's accessories suck, I have a rack on the back to prove that. Bolts were to short in that part, trip to Revell hardware solved that.

U sure the bars haven't rotated in the mounts?

nope checked that still on the mark.

I have the clarke & the Ralley pros mounted on acerbis koren bars

with no clearance problems, I have room for my ram mount

and a roll chart also. Got any pics? Cant you rotate your bars

farther towards the computer. I still think the clarke is the

best big tank out, many of us use them without issue. Ive

had my bike on the ground plenty and it still looks good. Wierd

that it would expand on you.

My bars are stock so the fit is tight everywhere. No can't rotate the bars forward due to the guards bar will hit the top triple. Acerbis was not a good fit with stock bars IMO. I had Enduro engineering barkbusters on my old '01 E with no clearance issues. Clamp design was better than the Acerbis also. The tank only expanded out in the indention areas that I can tell, looks fine everywhere else, fits fine to.

I have a camera but no way to host pics, sorry. My picture hosting site won't hperlink to this site for some reason.

I bought the Clarke tank because everyone raved about it. I thought I did my homework but as usual best fit is what came on the bike from the factory. I may ditch the stock bars in favor of a set of aluminum Renthals, it may get worse with them if so the Acerbis handguards will be coming off!

Believe me I've tried everything to figure this out bottom line is the bars are just layed out wrong on this bike.

Roy,

I had the same problem with mine the minute I mounted the acerbis units. I went to the triple clamp mount from fastway for the handguards, that took care of the problem. The handle bar mounts take up to much room on the 'S' model anyway. 😢

Roy,

I had the same problem with mine the minute I mounted the acerbis units. I went to the triple clamp mount from fastway for the handguards, that took care of the problem. The handle bar mounts take up to much room on the 'S' model anyway. 😢

Linco where can I get the Fastway mounts for the handguards? sounds like a plan!

Thanks

Roy

I'd still call Clarke and give them the opportunity to fix the problem. Maybe they got a 'short shot" on the mold and it is thin in that area and something that can't be seen unless you cut the tank apart with a saw. If they won't stand behind it then I'd be po'd for sure.

I did call Clarke today, nice people but like I stated earlier it was a waste of time. Not getting a new tank! never heard of one doing this, can't happen to our product nada nada nada whatever.

1st thing she ask me was "do you have the brace on the tank?" yes I do. Even though it fit like crap it is on there. I also decided to thow in the part about the yellow not matching the Suzuki yellow. No response there except "we did the best we could to match it". They are cofident the mold is just as thick throughout the tank no thin spots not possible.

Told me it had a year warranty against "cracks" that was it.

So I am living with the thing. I did mention the potential for the tank to rupture if I took a good fall, 4 gals. of fuel spilling out onto a hot bike with the rider trapped beneath it. 😢 Fell on deaf ears! 😢

Is it learn to live or live & learn. 😢

can you post a picture of this tank expanding?....

i got a clark tank and hope it don't happen to me!

That does suck. Too bad for their response. Internet stuff has a way of getting around. The brace on mine fit like $hite and the one hole wasn't tapped enough to screw in a bolt either. It wouldn't fit the tank with the tank sitting on the bench, let alone when you bent it around the downtube on the bike.Sounds like the need a quality control manager.The good thing for me is that after getting it on, it does work fine. I don't think getting rid of the shavings inside is a bad thing for them to do either before shipping.

OK, I'm new to all this stuff but you did mention that you have a one way valve on the tank vent line. If you release the filler cap do you get a bit of a WHOOSH as vapour pressure escapes? I know that my plastic gas jerry can swells a LOT with a bit of warmth and it doesn't go away until it's been cool for a couple of days. It may be that your one way valve is holding in the gasoline vapour pressure and that is what is swelling the tank. Loosen it and leave it for a couple of days and see if the tank returns to original condition. Worth a try at least....

Add a set of bar risers and your problem is solved. The bars are too low for anyone tall enough to swing a leg over the saddle.

OK, I'm new to all this stuff but you did mention that you have a one way valve on the tank vent line. If you release the filler cap do you get a bit of a WHOOSH as vapour pressure escapes? I know that my plastic gas jerry can swells a LOT with a bit of warmth and it doesn't go away until it's been cool for a couple of days. It may be that your one way valve is holding in the gasoline vapour pressure and that is what is swelling the tank. Loosen it and leave it for a couple of days and see if the tank returns to original condition. Worth a try at least....

Nope no pressure build up that I could detect. Valve is working perfectly & the tank is venting at the present time. I believe heat caused this to happen in some sort of weird way. Not real sure what happened but something definetly happened.

Add a set of bar risers and your problem is solved. The bars are too low for anyone tall enough to swing a leg over the saddle.

I am 5'9" tall, stock bars really do not cause me any problems but I see what you are saying and I have thought about changing the bars to a higher unit but I really do not like the bar riser setups that are currently available. They just seem to put the bar on top of the guages.

I could just get the Fastway or MSR triple clamp handguard attachment gizmos that do away with the bar clamps, another $60 bucks!

I think I'll go with the way it is & if I do fall & the tank punctures due to this oh well, no more Clarke tanks for me.

I would take pictures but after heating the areas with a hair dryer & mashing the indentions back inward the clamps do not pose that much of a problem anymore. I think the tank will expand/swell again out at the two indentions in due time just like before.

For now I think I am done worrying about it. 😢