Sign in to follow this  

Anyone using parafin wax chain-lube?

My last bike was a Harley and had a belt-drive. My new DRZ-400S has an o-ring chain. While at the dealer today I bought some parafin-based wax they told me they use on all their new bikes, including mine that I bought last month (9/04). Is that stuff any good? What about the dirt that gets stuck in it? I'm thinking about using it on my son's YZ-80 too. Is that cool, or a no-no? Thought I'd get some comments so I don't have to spend the my next day off cleaning chains! ThanX 😢

I will give you from bike shop experiences my feelings about it, well assuming it is very close if not the same as White Lightening Chain Lube:

The stuff is very nice because it does not attract dirt, which is especially useful in dry conditions, however it does not last very long and flings off pretty quickly. Also, motorcycle chains heat up and therefore will probobly defeat the wax, my feeling is leave the wax to the bicycles.

The purpose with o-ring chains is basically to prevent rust, so if you are going to use it, it would be best on a non o-ring chain.

As usual, you guys always come through! I'll keep a can for my kid's YZ 80. Do the o-ring chains require a regular greasing like the non-o-ring chains? I kow I sound dumb here, but I'm rather " :moon:" about my bikes!

I used Maxim Chain Wax and have for years.... the trick is to ride and warm the chain up first so that the lube will better penetrate into the cracks between the joinings of the links...

((Do the o-ring chains require a regular greasing like the non-o-ring chains))

Only the link pins are sealed on the orings, so the rollers and sprockets will have accelerated wear if you no lube. The problen dirt rips the lube off or stick to the lube and also creates wear.

one of the reasons running a lube that cleans as well as lubes is quicker, it flushes contaminates and also installs a barrier coating.

I've seen people here post (CLP) simliar to triflow. These flush and lube quickly. I personnally use Super lube by syntec, also of similar componenty to the triflow or clp, but leaves an heavier coating not quite as pretty.

I recently used the parrafin based chain wax, but I found it needs to be broke down with wd40 or wax build up seems to happen, but it works.

I'll stick with my syntec superlube(wet), running it for many years but it can be hard to find. Recently ordered a case from ACE hardware, 4.99 a can 10% discount on a case.