Sign in to follow this  

Cold weather gear

Well I did a search with not much sucess. There are a few jacket post but not much else. Here is my question. What do you guys suggest and or what are you wearing? I would like something not real bulky but waterproof and reasonably priced. Everything I have found is either a light jacket and pants ($100 per item) to extreme cold ($250 plus per item) What do you guys reccomend. Also what about boots? I tried a friends fox boots and they were super stiff. Do they loosen up eventually? They were very uncomfortable to me. (I usually wear Hiking boots or steel toe work boots) Im not a racer. I like to go fast somtimes but mostly I like to just ride. INPUT!!! please.

I found a Thor Ride2 enduro jacket at my local shop

for around $150. It's waterproof and has a zip-out fleece vest. It's oversized and will fit over my 661 pressure suit

(over longjohns)

I love this jacket and it keeps me warm.

The SIDI Discovery boots are waterproof and not all plastic

and rigid like the more hardcore racing boots.

I have the Thor Phase Jacket...

I think i have an older model than this one...but pretty much looks the same...

THO_05_PHA_JAK_BLK.JPG

Its not real thick or anything... and if it gets too hot the sleeves come off and you can put them in the rear pouch of the jacket....(i use this often)... Ride to work in morning its cold... ride home from work its hot....

Also.... If it were really cold out side you could probably just put a sweatshirt on underneath to be extra warm...

To be honest... my face gets the coldest..

The jacket is water resistant and it also stops the wind pretty good...

Another good thing about the coat... it has plenty of pockets to carry extra beer! :cry:

Its $100 bucks....

When looking for cold riding gear don't limit yourself to motorcycle gear. I use Avalanche snowmobile gear,jacket,gloves for the cold stuff they work great,lots of pockets for storeing stuff + you can get some pretty good prices in the off season,(summer). For the really cold stuff I got a full body suit,(snowmobile), that fits over my regular off road gear at a second hand store for 20 bucks!!.(lot,s of ski resorts around here), something to think about if you live in an area where sking, snowmobiling is popular. :cry:

An electric vest and grips work wonders for me.

They really take the chill out.

You want the elcheapo for under 100 bucks?

Water proof wind breaker at walmart in the hunting section, if hooded just turn the hood inside out so no parachute. get the type with stretch cord around the waist line, so no air updraft. I also got a pair of Itallion leather thinsulate gloves there for $10 dollars. They also have nylon over rain pants for about 19 dollars, they are excellent for cold, and water proof. The medium size will fit up to about six feet tall. (under) the outer garments you can wear sheat shift , warm up jacket pants or what ever you want. The other must is a thin balaclava at a moto store for your head and face,nose $10. Get some heavy wool sox at walmart $5