Sign in to follow this  

KX85 Questions, Bike for Son

I'm sure someone out there is in the same position. My son has a KX65, and is ready to move to an 85. I like to buy new when I get a good deal. I found a great deal on a new 04 KX85, $700 under what I can get a 05 for. Was there any BIG difference from the 04 to 05?

I just bought berkeboy his new KX-85 a couple months ago, and got an '04 as well. They said at the dealership (Grand Prix in Santa Clara) that there were basically no differences, but I didn't check it out for myself.

My son loves the power of the KX-85 compared to his KX-65, BTW. The seat height is marginal for him at 10 years old, but he'll grow into it soon, just like he did with the KX-65. I lowered the bike about an inch for him, and that's a big help. He still needs spotting to start it, but once he's running, he can stop and start again. I raised the forks in the triple clamps and softened the rear preload a lot to get the inch lower. As he grows, I'll keep easing it back up, to get the suspension geometry back to normal. Funny, though, he liked the feel of the suspension better after I lowered it. I can just barely keep up with him now on the oval/TT track at Sand Hill MX north of Livermore. You can imagine what he thinks of that! :cry:

Another KX-85 tip -- the frame shape under the engine is kind of weird, and the main tube sticks down in the middle so that the bottom of the bike is not flat. If you try to put it on your normal flat stand, it's real unstable. So I made a wooden stand that has a divot groove about 1.5" deep down the middle, and now the bike rests stably on the stand. Very important when you do a lot of work on skills with the bikes on stands in the garage! :cry: