Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoat Questions

I was just wondering if anybody had any first hand experience powdercoating rims. I've heard that it works awesome, and I've also heard that it doesn't. Has anybody done this before? How much did it cost? Did you re-lace the wheels yourself, or leave it to a professional?

Thanks,

Spit

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I use to shoot powder years ago and I did tons of Harley rims. It would work fine on dirt rims too but in my opinon I think annodizing is the better choice. The powder will add rotational weight and thats not good, it will also get dull after all the roost and rocks get to it. It is very durable but considering all the punishment a rim takes I would go with annodizing. If you do powdercoat you will have to tape off everything and plug all the spoke holes up, it is pretty thick stuff.

What is involved in the process of anodizing? How much do you think it would cost to get 2 rims anodized? I was also wondering how tricky it would be to lace my own wheels, rather than getting ripped off by my local shop to do it...

Thanks. :cry:

With annodizing you take them in and the anno shop will do the rest, I dont know what it will cost in your area but it would probably be around the same as powder coating. If you do a search on some of the forums I remember a while back some posts on how to lace the wheels up. It's pretty easy but I would rather pay someone to do mine... Im lazy!

It works and looks great. Price is depending on if they have to special order the color. If it is a color they have in stock the price should be about $25 per rim.

Here is mine.

P1010005.jpg

It works and looks great. Price is depending on if they have to special order the color. If it is a color they have in stock the price should be about $25 per rim.

Here is mine.

Nice GasGas! :cry: :cry:

Are those rims powdercoated, or are they anodized?