The perfect host, and we got our stinkin' badges!

I just wanted to say a very heart-felt "THANK YOU" to our Canadian buddy.

This past weekend, Red_450 hosted us up near Summerland, BC, and he catered to each and every one of our needs and desires.

We hoped for good single track, good weather, full days of riding and a good time.

Red_450 went far and beyond expectations for hosting us. From providing the firewood, to starting the damn fire, trail-bossing some of the most excellent trails ever, (let alone having cleared the trails so that they are ridable), helping us out with pizza on Saturday night, the list goes on and on.

Our experience in Canada this time was fulfilling, to say the least. We were faced with snow on Saturday, and the "Stupid" trail on Sunday. We had a crew of 5 riders who were all fully capable, and we made our way through. Quickly. When it was over, I think we were all too tired to feel the accomplishment, but it is now starting to set in.

That trail is one that you only hear about.

Thanks to Lorne, Travis and Colin for a fun trip.

Too bad we have to wait until next year to subject Drew to it.

?

Thank you very much, Ron. You are an awesome host, and a better rider. You kicked this young man's a$$ all weekend.

?

that was another great ride! it seemed like the trails in the morning were nearly fresh cut, ron out-did himself there! how often do you get the privelage of riding a brand-new trail!

saturday was pretty cool with the "15 minutes of hell" trail and going to the old fire lookout. again ron came through with a warming fire that was in much need after riding through the chilling snow covered trees.

you know it's been a hell of a ride when you have some torn plastic on your bike and you can't even remember/know where it happened ?

I got some pictures up from the ride and lorne probably have his shortly. hopefully some video to come soon as well ?

canada ride pics

Our Canada trip was the perfect way to cap-off my 2004 dirt-bike season! I will definitely go back for more abuse next year. Ron, your trail experience and part-time pizza delivery skills made our border crossing one to remember! THANK YOU! Here are some pics from Saturday, none from Sunday due to a dead camera battery.

Canada Pics

Sounds epic guys. Great pics, thanks for sharing! As you know I was up in Kelowna this same weekend, and the area is made for dirt bikes. Miles and miles of forest in every direction. I'm mighty jealous, but on the other hand, this ride doesn't look like it was made for lightweights. Nor the trip up and back. ?

Now, how to figure out how to move the family up there. Wineries and great dirt biking. Sounds good to me. ?

Most excellent Trav!

No doubt. Travis really is diligent about snapping photos (or vid) along the trail (he never holds the group up though...) and then mixing stuff like this together is almost too much.

Thanks Trav.

?

So, how long does it take to drive there?

There was some discussion on which way is faster. I think you wet-siders could have gone straight north on I-5, crossed the border, then hung a right on Canadian Highway 9 and 3, and maybe made the trip (one-way) in about 4 hours. As it was, we were all going in one rig, so they came over 2 and picked me up, Once here, I think it was about 2.5 to the border, and another hour to Pentictin/Summerland.

And where were you? Did you ride near Summerland? Could you see Lake Okanagan?

We were primarily above Summerland, and I don't recall seeing the lake much. May have been able to, but I don't recall it.

?

I see. Ok, I just went onto the website of the place we stayed at (http://www.grandokanagan.com) and it said its about a 6 hour drive from Seattle to Kelowna, and did a Mapquest thing for Duvall to Kelowna, and it said 5.5 hrs, 310 miles. Hmmm.

And no doubt, Trav is the man. Not only does he take pics, and vids, but then gets them out there for everyone to enjoy. AND he doesn't hold up the group while out on the trail! ?

the nice thing is everyone is picking up these digi cams left and right and we are getting more and more coverage. nice when lorne, jeremy, and other picture happy dudes are along as sometimes I like to keep the camera packed away and focus on moving along. I have this idea in my head, I kept thinking about it last sunday... maybe next year with the help of ron... the entire stupid trail without any stops and as fast as possible, hit everything at speed. that would be the ultimate workout!

Would it be cheating to bring my Gas Gas on a ride on the "Stupid Trail" ??? Most of that stuff looks right up my alley. How long of a loop was it? Do you think there were enough rest stops that I could catch up with you guys before you took off again? ? Looks like maybe Ron and I are about the same age.. think maybe that's to our advantage? ? (notice I didn't say "OLD") Bet you were thinking it.. ??

Curt, you could keep up just fine on the stupid trail. It's not a trail meant for speed, and those trials bikes do JUST FINE on the single track.

You would LOVE this trail, for sure.

Also, next time Ron is down, you should show him some of the goods, you might be surprised what a trials bike he makes out of that big Honda! ?

Ron's back yard is definitely Gas Gas country! I can think of a dozen or more times that I thought to myself, "I wish I had my trials bike for that"! The entire area is covered with bedrock islands to play on. Colin and I both had worn rear tires, that won't be happening again! Did anyone else have multiple shades of cow crap on their ride when they got home? ?

WOW !! Ok, count me in on the next ride. Lorne, bring your Gas Gas too and heck, if needed I can bring the 'fleet' for up to 3 more guys.. But I can see now that there will be places that we won't want to stay on the trail.. My mouth was watering when I saw those rocks! ?? Besides, I'm a digital photo freak too. More photos than anyone could care to look at, eh? (practicing my Canadian there... beauty!) ?

There was enough rocks and dead-falls within a mile of camp to keep us busy on trials bikes all weekend! We did have to ride some road sections to complete the loop, that's the only thing that might not be kosher on the GG's.

Trav, That second vid is SPECTACULAR! I'm glad you got the video of me almost running over Ron! ? I was paying him back for making the climb look so easy. The only thing missing is some video footage of the crazy road riding. We cranked some killer wheelies and watched Colin flat-track on a cow poop covered corner. I can't wait to go there again!

Ron's back yard is definitely Gas Gas country! I can think of a dozen or more times that I thought to myself, "I wish I had my trials bike for that"! The entire area is covered with bedrock islands to play on.

? Yep, I was thinking about you this weekend when OldBones showed me some of the stuff up there... Having a new capable Gas Gas back home when you see stuff like that can be a curse. If not for that, I'd probably have a thumper dirt bike too. I'd probably start crying somewhere on a tough ride looking at all the neat stuff off of the trails. ??

Trav,

Epic video, my friend. I had to watch it like four times straight through! Makes me itch big time to head back up and hit the last of the trail that we didn't catch the first trip!

Next year...

Question. How did you keep the size of the video so managable? ?