Sign in to follow this  

12V Battery Set-up

Hey everyone, looking for some help. Was wondering if anopne set up their bike using a 12V Nicad battery or some other type to power their lights just to get registered and then to use in an emergency. What im trying to do is something like the Dakar setu where everything is in the headlight because I ride MX alot more the DS but would still love to hit some Turkey Runs with my Dad. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Thanks!

Ni-Cad isn't the hot set up here. Ni-Cad batteries have a memory, so unless you fully discharge them frequently, the capacity will be reduced each time you partially draw them down. Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) or Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) are the hot set up. They are a little more expensive and a little harder to find, but they have a higher power density and don't have memory. On my WR, though, I have a small (2 x .8 x 8) 12 v 2000miAh gelled electrolyte lead-acid battery that does the job. It will run the headlight alone (with the bike off) for the 20 minutes required here in california, and provides enough extra juice to keep the headlight, brake light, etc from dimming at idle. Plus, it was really cheap...about $15.00 at Wal-Mart (it's intended to be a camcorder battery!)

Birdie,

Quick question...

Is your bike set up to charge the battery? Or do you charge it with a plug-in wall charger?

thanks,