Sign in to follow this  

DR650 touring setup?

I've decided to sell my street bike and look for a '00 or newer dr650. I'm interested in adventure touring and would love to see pics of the big dr set up for touring. Anyone?

Yater, what part of the country are you in? What places do you plan on riding? Deserts, mountain, backcountry? I havent seen many DR's. I see alot of KLR's.

I'd love to do the trans-america trail. Realistically, I'll probably be riding in New Mexico, West Texas (big bend), Colorado--but who knows? I really like the idea behind the klr...low budget bmw is what it looks like to me. I just can't get around the "issues" and would be too paranoid if I bought one. The bike won't see much hardcore trail riding (I've got a dr350 for that). Also, honda is out--I love 'em but they're not for the short man (5'7")

It's got a "doohickey" issue (something to do with the counter balancer) and pump seals?? or something?--I've read numerous reports of water in the oil so I assume it's an issue on the klr. Just do a search for "grenade" and plenty of klr threads will pop up.--not good. I'm sure there are 1000s of them out there that don't have problems but I'm not going to be the poor bastard on the side of the road! The only issue I've seen on the '00 and newer DR650 is a base gasket leak but that can be fixed with a new (copper) gasket.