Sign in to follow this  

First ride KTM 525 SMR Problems?? HELP!!!!!

I just bought a KTM 525 SMR and tried to race it this past weekend and it was a nightmare.

1. The beast takes an average of 20 kicks to start.

2. The Engine started blowing oil from the side case. The gasket right above the kick start had slipped inside the case. We the case off and the gasket was ok.

3. After removing the kick starter I noticed that some idiot didn't tighten the bolt and most of the splines on the kickstarter itself were stripped out.

4. After trying to break it in on Friday, I took it out Saturday morning for a practice session and it did not run out very well on top end. It was raining and I couldn't go real fast so I figured things would clear up.

5. We pulled the plug and it was lean with a 185 main jet. So we put a 188 in it and nothing changed, actually it got worse but the plug still looked lean. We then put a 195 main in it and again it seemed to get progressively worse.

6. Thinking it might be electrical we changed the black box and again no change.

Anyone have problems with their 525's falling off or basically dieing under high speed loads?????????

Any help whatsover will be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

Check your plug wire or replace it. I have heard stories of bad plug wires causing the engine to cut out at upper rpms. Sucks you are having so many problems. I have hade my 525 smc for over a year problem free. Go over every bolt. Or you will leave some parts on the track. Shifter,kickstart,subframe bolts ect...

Kevin

Kevin,

That is funny you mention that. I told my buddy at the track while we were loading everything that I figure it will be something stupid like a plug wire. :cry: Beleive me, we checked every bolt on the bike and many of them were loose.

Thanks, Eric

Before you go any further... check the valves. The first adjustment is supposed to be done at the 2 hour mark. They do tighten up at first break in, but rarely move after that.

I can guarantee that the intake valves have tightened up (clear indication this has happened is the hard starting). Also, the seeming lean condition will be caused by the intake valves not opening enough to let the mixture into the cylinder.

One lesson I've learned from my 02.. safety wire the shifter lever bolt in place (wire around the lever itself).

Also, make sure you have the countersprocket bolt loctited as well as the rear sprocket bolts.