Sign in to follow this  

CS Leak update

I pulled off the CS sprocket today. The backside of the sprocket is really worn about .020 I would guess. I was surprised to see this :cry: I have not gotten the two phillips screws out of the retainer yet, they are tight.Has anybody else has this kind of wear? My chain guide on the swingarm looks good. I am going back out to try and get it apart.

I have not gotten the two phillips screws out of the retainer yet, they are tight

I had to use an impact driver to get those suckers out...

OK, I got it apart. The bushing has just a ever so slight worn area, I mean,very very minor. The oring is in good shape. The seal seems to be fine. When I put it back together, it seems there should be more drag between the seal and the bushing. I will try to buy new parts tomorrow, but my Suzuki shop is useless. Bronco, yes the sprocket was on correct. :cry: It is worn pretty good, I have never had a chain derailment. Maybe I could take .020 off the sprocket spacer, then add a .020 washer to the nut side :cry: I dont know, but I hate just to leave it.

Dealer wont have any of that stuff in stock & may take longer

then www.ronayers.com to get it to ya, depends on the dealer I guess.

It really does just depend....I got the seals, O-ring, spacer and locking washer all from a local dealer, on the shelf... I did order a new CS nut,, but it was not a have to have part.

I just did this job on my '04 "S". Easy repair! go ahead & do it all while your in there, spacer, o-ring & seal. My seal looked fine but leaked not from the seal lip but from where the seal mates to the case. The new seal was a much tighter fit. Grease up the new o-ring & seal lip. I have 100 miles on mine since the repair & no leak, yet! Impact driver is the only real way to get the phillips loose without ruining them. Drive seal in straight don't over do it or get in a hurry on this part.

BTW all the parts came in for mine in 2 days but the spacer came out of the california warehouse which added 3 days waiting for me. Your time may be better.

I was thinking bassakwards, the sprocket needs moved out, not in .020 So I would have to somehow, maybe with a spline washer, move the spocket out. :cry:

Oh, well if that is the direction you need to move... Is that sprocket you have is fate,, no built in spacer? And you found no separate spacer behind the sprocket?

The OEM sprocket has a built in off set spacer, .. that goes towards the motor.. After market DRZ sprockets handle this one of two ways.. Either with a built in spacer (Renthol), or the separate spacer. (Sprocket Specialties)

Bronco, the sprocket is the stock one I think. It has the spacer built into it. The back side of the sprocket is really worn from the inside of the chail links. So, it looks like I need to move it out away from the engine, to center it in the chain.Do you think I can just put a 020 washer between the built in sprocket spacer and the sleeve that goes through the seal :cry:

Are the seal measurments; 30x40x6 I got these figures from the klx fishe at the dealer. ? I ordered a 30x40x7 from a local bearing distributor, be here tomorrow. $3.24 I will give it a try.

I picked up that seal I order from MOTION INDUSTRIES. They are a nationwide bearing supplier. We have a local branch here in town. The seal was 1.84 :cry: plus tax and freight, 3.28 :cry: I got it in one day, and it fits perfect. The seal I ordered is a 30x40x7 It really feels better now with the sleeve in it. I have not been able to ride it yet, but I dont forsee any trouble. :cry:

I ordered a seal, spacer, o-ring and a washer from my local suzi shop two weeks ago and still nothin ,I think its on a slow fishing boat comin from japan :cry:.

Keep us posted on how the seal works :cry:

If you removed a OEM sprocket, measure the thickness. You will find it to be .372 inch. Now measure the replacement. It will be about .390 inch thick. All after market replacements I have seen are thicker than original so it gets moved out .020 if you want it or not. Chain alignment is best corrected at the rear wheel. If the wheel is coocked (remove 1 "o") off just a little, it throws chain alignment off.

All after market replacements I have seen are thicker than original so it gets moved out .020 if you want it or not

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, that's nice to know Noble. I replaced my F sprocket with OEM last time (expensive), and considered breaking down and running aftermarket for a try as the sprocket seems to be wearing a little quicker here in florida sand. But my chain runs very true with the marks, so your news doesn't make me happy. I guess we'll go OEM again

What shop? There is a place in Eugene that may have um in stock.. and if ya get desperate,,, I got spares on the shelf

Bronco, I ordered it from the one in roseburg, I think the owner doesnt order untill he gets so much $$$ worth the orders to save on shipping :cry:.

Hopefuly it will come in this week and the next time im in Eugene I will go buy extras.

Thanks

john

nwjohn.. If ya get in a need to order,, OEM parts situation again,, COnsider ordering from http://www.ronayers.com/ It will be a 7-14 day wait,, as they stock very little.. but order daily from the OEM's ther serve.. So ya wait a few days for part to get to them, and a few days for them top ship to you.. But the prices are very good, you can order from home or work, and the part show up on your door step.. I've done at least a dozen orders from them, and never a problem. I still buy from the dealers,, but only if it is on the shelf...otherwise,, RonAyers is the deal.