Sign in to follow this  

Broken spoke Question

Hey guys, my son 13 yr. old's ('96 model) YZ-80 that I bought him a few months ago has a broken spoke on the rear wheel-- it's not exactly broken but the part that screws into the rim area under the innertube isn't screwed to anything. It's like the nut-part is either missing altogether, or it's inside with the innertube! Man, it it's not one thing, its another. I couldn't afford to buy him a new one, so I opted for a used one. Two questions: First, is the mate (nut-part) likely to be inside the innertube, or more likely to have fallen off somewhere, or is it anybody's guess? The spoke isn't broken because I can see the threaded end w/ the threads. Second, can I just remove 1 spoke and not cause a problem, or are every-single spoke a critical component? Is this something that I can fix w/out having a $10,000 shop cause all I have are basic tools. ANY help would be appreciated since I told him to park it until you guys help me. Thanks dudes :cry:

Thanks my friend! If it's in the tire, and since I'm a novice, is it a makor job to get it out? If I bought another one, I assume it has to be put in from the inside (and I have to remove the tire from the rim)? Sounds like something the shop has to do huh? :cry:

Very simple :cry:,, Just remove the tire and tube.. You will find a rubber rim strip that protects the tube from the spoke nipples.. pull it aside,, and you will see the hole the nipple goes in to. Remove the old spoke, insert another,, thread on the nipple, and tighten it slightly. Replace the rim strip, tube and tire. Snug up the spoke nipple.. take a screwdriver or small wrench in the finger tips, and ......"twang" a few spokes.. Should be a high pitched sound,, not a dead thud,, tighten the new spoke until you get that same pitch. This is a feel deal,, and a little difficult, but doable.