Sign in to follow this  

GLOWING HEADER PIPES

A friend of mine tells me that when he starts his xr 400 up, the header pipes glow bright red after a few minutes of idling, any thoughts. Maybe running lean??

nope, it's not normal. do you know how much heat it takes to turn a stainless steel header pipe cherry red? if it's that hot that far out into the exhaust system then think about how hot it is around the valve and in the aluminum head. mine used to glow. not any more. make sure your jetting is rich enough and stop any air leaks you may have and the glowing will go away. mine did.

Kaos

Totally normal. The head is a huge casting of aluminum, a metal well known for good heat transfer, and it has cooling fins.

The stainless header pipe must endure the same heat, but is much thinner, and has no cooling fins to expand its surface area. So it glows. Mine still glowed after I went to 158-58 jetting. Now it is wrapped in header tape {for engine cooling purposes}, and gets even hotter underneath.

This happens to many bikes. One of my club members lit his property after dry leaves flew up into the exhaust header on his TTR250. Luckily, his trail is short, and he was able to extinguish it when he made the next lap!

Run a search, this topic has been gone over a numer of times!

Robert :cry:

I might also add that stainless steel alloys do not generally give up heat as easily as standard, carbon steel. This is the reason that military weapons are never made of stainless steel. The barrels would quickly be destroyed from the heat.