Sign in to follow this  

Completed my first 50k ultra-marathon...

Other than motorcycling, my other hobbies are running, mountain biking, adventure racing, etc. I've done a number of triathlons and marathons, but have always wanted to compete in an ultra-marathon, which is anything longer than a regular 26.2 miler and the Ironman triathlon.

Well, after training all summer, giving up beer/wine for awhile and generally just taking good care of myself, I finally completed my frist race this weekend. The race was 50k, or 31 miles, but we got really lost due to a poor marker at a Y intersection and ended up running about 7-8 miles further before we were able to get back on course again.

The race was entirely offroad on trails up in Chattanooga, TN, all over and around Signal Mtn. I didn't take a camera as it was hard enough just to keep going for 7+ hours, but my Mom did get a shot of me coming across the finish line. I think if I hadn't gotten lost, I would have finished in just under 6 hours - that would have been awesome!

Now onto the Mountain Mist 50k in January and Oak Mountain 50k in March. My ultimate goal is to compete in the Leadville Trail 100miler in Colorado and the Western States 100 mile Endurance run in the next couple of years. After that, 2 years of training for an Ironman shall commence....

Anyone up for a run...

Hollywood

919stumpjump.jpg

Congrats man, only way I would run 31 miles was if I was on acid

or trying to get away from certain death... :cry: :cry:

Looks like whoever made the sign cant do conversion math...

Shows 50k / 11 miles... :cry:

The western states 100 out here gets some media

coverage every year. Tough route around Tahoe/Donner area.

If you ever make it out for the run bring the bike with you. :cry:

http://www.ws100.com/

There were 2 races... the 50k and an 11 mile "sprint" race. Kinda like when there is a 10k road race there is also usually a 1 mile fun run.

Western States is on my list... someday! :cry:

Congrats but you are freakin crazy. I would never run that long. I would be way too bored.

How long does it take for the pain to go away? About 12 miles or so?

What sort of training did you do? May I ask your weight and height also. I'm considering running a marathon and would like to know what sort of training I should do. What did your diet consist of? I race xc so I should have decent endurance.

Lots and lots o' miles... when you think you're tired, run some more, when you're ready to quit... run some more!

In all seriousness, I followed about a 4 month progression of stepping up my distance by 10% every 2 weeks and the 3rd week stepping back down. In other words... wk1 20 miles total, wk2 22 miles total, wk3 18 miles total, wk 4 24 miles total, etc. I also ran mostly on trails and rough surfaces to make sure my ankles were able to handle the terrain. Check Hal Higdon's marathon training book for a good guide to first time marathons... I used his methods for my first road marathon 5 years ago.

My size: 5'9" and 157lbs. I ate right, except for pizza, beer and wine, and never really eat fast food. I did a lot of cross training, like body sculpt classes, etc.

It was fuuuuun!

Mike :cry:

that's awesome....i've done a couple marathons and my sister does ultras.....she's done a couple 100 milers and several 50 miles races....it's crazy stuff....