Sign in to follow this  

Wr 250 ?

A buddies girlfriend has a WR250 and they always have to put it on the charger. The bike will not stay running unless there is juice in the battery. If she uses the electric start once than the bike won't stay running. If she kicks it and it starts, it still won't stay running. The dealer told them that this is normal, "you must keep that battery charged if you want the bike to keep running". I think its a bunch of crap. But tell me if I'm missing something. Could there be something wrong with the stator or magneto? Not charging etc.

Any comments would be appriciated.

Thanks, Jim

They are full of crap! The battery should keep a charge if it is just sitting in the garage. If it drains, the battery might be bad or there might be something in the electrical causing the drain. As far as riding it, the stator should keep it charged. I would try replacing the battery first and see if that cures it. It is not uncommon to have a shorted battery.

I would load test your battery removed from your bike before spending the $$$ on a new one. I ran my bike for the better part of a year with a completely fried battery, and it ran perfectly (other than no e-start). Unless the battery is a dead short (as mentioned previously), I suspect something wrong on the charging side. Have you measured your alternator output?