Sign in to follow this  

TE250 '04 0r '05

I know this may be a can of worms.... Someone wants to buy my TE400, so I'm thinking about a TE250. Leftover '04's are around at good prices, but '05's are coming soon. The 250's seem to be getting the least changes. I know the valves are the big question. None of the 250's from the shop I deal with have had problems(including the owner's personal bike). I know a few guys are already thinking " You've got so much confidence in Husky buy an '04 and I hope you get one with bad valves." The '05 plastic is growing me and I'm a sucker for the gunsight gas cap.

Norman

Get the 05. The FCR carb is reason enough. Not that the 04 was unreliable, but the 05 will be better as it has another year under its belt.

Might be a good idea to find out what the price of the 05s will be. I suspect that the cost is going up with the weak dollar. The 04s were priced relatively low and with discounted prices for left-overs, you should be able to get a great deal.

I would defintitely get the '05. It sounds as though they addressed the valves the plastic looks very cool and the carb is a nice bonus. Then again of you can a good deal on an '04 :cry: that's a tough one. How good of a deal?

The 05 has a lot more changes than just valves. It runs a completly different head & cams. From what I heard from someone that has ridden one, it is a very different bike to the 04. My 04 did 4000 klms without adjusting the valves once.

HuskyOz,

I didn't see in your post if you have the TE250 or not. You really went 4,000 km without needing a valve adjustment? That is impressive.

What is so bad about the stock carbureator on the 2004's? My bike runs very well and feels almost fuel injected it is so smooth. What benefit will the FCR bring?

Greg

Actually I am interested as to why the new carb on the 05 is better than that on the 04 as well?

Performance wise, if both are set up well, there shouldn't be much difference. The " + " for running the FCR is there are more needle/jet combo's to try, to get the bike to run the way you want. All in All, it's nice to have all the options but not something that would make me have to have it.

brown

The mikuni has a bad flat spot off hard acceleration after landing which cant be jetted out. We have been running Kehins with no problems & much stronger power delivery. Also the mukuni leaks dust & air at the trumpet oring & the piston pump jamms up when dirt gets in.

You may very well be correct about the carb when MXing, I'm not a jumper, the last thing I jumped was a creek. The o-ring does have a problem with leaking but I correct mine with a bead of silicone. From what I've seen the A/C pump on both carbs seem to gum up with dirt. It seems to be somewhat of a problem with the KTM FCR's. That just my experience with the carbs.

I would be interested in finding out what size FCR you are running and jetting spec.

Thanks,

brown

Can you give me a better idea where the "trumpet" o-ring is so I can silicone mine as well? Thanks.

Greg

The "trumpet" is the back part of the carb (it looks ceramic, air filter side), it is bolt on the the carb. The o-ring is between the carb and the trumpet.

Hope that helps,

brown