Sign in to follow this  

Blue Smoke in my TTR125L

Change the oil in my TTR125L to a dirt bike Synthetic Amsoil and now it is blowing blue smoke. Why?? :cry: bad rings mabey? any ideas :cry:

Maybe bad rings, but I would check to make sure you didn't over filled it. If it didn't smoke before that might be the problem just a little to much oil.

this is my understanding of synthetic oil. i may be completely wrong. from what i've been told, you can start running synthetic oil when the bike is new, and later on in the future change to regular oil. but you can't do it the other way (if i'm not mistaken, i think you mentioned that you bought the bike used, the previous owner might have been using regular motorcycle oil). the reason i'm told this is that synthetic oil is 'thinner' then regular oil to provide the same level of friction protection. if you are using regular oil for an extended period of time, your engine builds tolerances for that oil. then if you change to a synthetic oil, the new oil is able to by-pass those tolerances. i ussually hear stories of people changing to synthetic oil and having the new oil seep thru all the gaskets. i've never heard anyone mention the oil by-passing the rings.

i'd probably find out what kind of oil the original owner was using, and put that back in and see if it fixes your problem.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

this is my understanding of synthetic oil. i may be completely wrong. from what i've been told, you can start running synthetic oil when the bike is new, and later on in the future change to regular oil. but you can't do it the other way (if i'm not mistaken, i think you mentioned that you bought the bike used, the previous owner might have been using regular motorcycle oil). the reason i'm told this is that synthetic oil is 'thinner' then regular oil to provide the same level of friction protection. if you are using regular oil for an extended period of time, your engine builds tolerances for that oil. then if you change to a synthetic oil, the new oil is able to by-pass those tolerances. i ussually hear stories of people changing to synthetic oil and having the new oil seep thru all the gaskets. i've never heard anyone mention the oil by-passing the rings.

i'd probably find out what kind of oil the original owner was using, and put that back in and see if it fixes your problem.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

You got it backwards.For break in use regular oil and then you can switch any time to synthetic oil.