Sign in to follow this  

Battery Draining on 03WR250

This problem started as a different problem at first. When I ran my bike(equiped with a Dakar dual sport kit from Eletrexusa.com) with the lights on it would drain the battery and eventually the bike would start running poorly, then not stay running at all. If I were to run with the lights off it would run fine. At least thats what I thought. I went for a long run the other day and just at the end of my ride I noticed that the bike sort of acted a little funny, but I stopped shorly after that. I went out again today and about an hour into the ride the bike started spitting and sputtering like there was no spark and the bike would barely stay running. I found, after pushing the bike out of the woods, that when I turn the key on to run the bike but before I get the engine started there is a small draw on the battery. 700mili amps. So i figure that this draw is taking enough away from the charge of the batteryto make it act up. Is this draw normal on all 03-04 WRs? I know where the draw is coming from. Under the seat, right in front of the battery, there is some connectors. There is a small one that comes off the neg battery wire and goes into two black wires. This connection when connected puts a draw on the battery. When not connected no draw. I think my friend said it was the starter ground. If you push the e-start it just clicks and doesn't turn over. The starter doesn't click but the starter relay(I think) clicks. Its the little black box that is just behind the battery on the rear fender. Should this draw a little current so that the starter has some juice to turn the motor over or should there be no draw unless the starter button is pressed and the starter motor engaged?

Also, if anyone can help out on this it would be great. The Dakar kit that was installed onto this bike(before I got it) is actually a 01-02 kit. this is the kit thats on my bike Right click and save as or it won't load for some reason. Check out the kit contents page.

This is the kit I should have Right click and save as again. Compare this contents page to the other.

The kit that is installed now is sort of jerry rigged in and I think they just made it fit where it souldn't have.

The main difference between the two kits is that the 01-02 yz/wr kit runs off "modified" WR stator and charges a battery that is included in the kit to runs the lights. It will also fit on either YZ or WR. The 03-04 WR kit runs off the battery and charging system that already exists on the bike. And the WR kit is different than the YZ kit.

Would connecting the wrong kit incorrectly be the cause of the draining when the lights are on and the bike is running? Or would you electrical engineers have to see how its connected to answer that? My buddy says that as far as he can tell its hooked up right with what is supplied. The battery and reg/rect have both been removed from the Dakar kit and the bikes battery has been hooked up directly to the kit(there is actually two wires, one from pos and one from neg, coming directly from the battery to the kit).

I want to just return the bike to stock form and then get the right components that I need to have it installed right. The problem is that I don't know if that will fix the problem. Any suggestions?

it sounds like we have the same or similar problems.i posted the problems up on this forum with little joy?

i spoke to a auto electrician last week and he said it might be the voltage rectifier,i am waiting for a new one to come will let you know soon as.

i also have the clicking syndrome under my seat,except as soon as i turn the ignition on it trys to start on its own or if there is little battery life will just click,i have replaced the soliniod and it didn't solve it,also waiting for the little relay to come then will let you know.

sometimes it will run for a while up and down the road other times it will miss and splutter above 1/4 throttle after 50m,replaced plug x2 and new cdi plug cap,no luck yet :cry:

For sure let me know what happens. I looked in the manual and it doesn't show a way to check the regulator/rectifier to see if its bad. It only says to check everything else and if that isn't the cure replace the regulator/rectifier. Anyone know if you can test them or not?