Sign in to follow this  

Lil YZF hangs with the big boys!

This little 250F continues to impress me. Went for a ride this past week with 6 other guys. Most everybody had a bigger bike than me except one guy on a litle YZ125. I've been itching for a bigger bike as I'm going to hand my YZ250F down to my son this summer. Been thinking a 450something is the way to go. It was so cool to ride a wet and nasty 6 hour ride with the big boy bikes to see how they do against the lilttle 250F. I'd say I was mid pack as far as ability. At the end of the day we came up on a steep, rutted, and wet uphill about 20 yards long with a bunch of tree roots with holes and rocks before them. I watched the other bikes make a run at it and get stuck in the holes just before the roots. I sat down there thinking: I'm sooooo screwed right now!! I'm tired and nursing an injury and I don't feel like pulling my bike up this hill!!! After everyone in front of me (I was fifth in in line and now the holes were bigger after everybody else had buried their bikes) had to have someone pull them out of the holes I decided to let her rip. The look on the guys faces up on top were like "Are you kidding?" I probably could not have done it again but I hit those holes flying in 1st tapped out and wheelied to the top of the hill. I'm not saying this was rider skill; the bike just kept hooked up and flying! No one said a word at the top of the hill but I think I got a little more respect at the BS session while loading up. The guy on the YZ125 rode my bike and said "Wow! I want one of these!" Now I don't know what bike to get? Maybe an 05 YZ250F!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I kinda think about a 450 sometimes, too. On my 250f, I put a full exhaust, power now, and had my JD Jet kit dyno-tuned...big difference and much cheaper than a new bike :cry:

Ahhhhhh !! Those kind of moments have kept me interested in riding for the last 25 years. Thanks for sharing! :cry:

IMO 450's suck. They just dont handle as well as the little ones do. I am a revver anyway so for the big bike the 250 2-stroke is more my style and my favorite bike of all is my 250F. Even the Honda handles like crap (but I still think its about 15% better than the Yamaha). The motors are just too tall and the bikes dont want to lay over well enough unless you soften your forks alot.

I race 25+, 30+ and 35+ vet class against mostly 250 two strokes and 450's, I have no problem ripping great starts

and running top 10 at Southwick on my 250f, which is more of a horsepower track than technical one. I think it corners better than 450's and can be ridden just as fast as

a 250 two stroke.