Sign in to follow this  

which bike klx300,wr250, cfr250x

I need help on which bike would suit me best klx300, wr250 crf250x i ride some badlands, trails, and small jumping, i need a bike that i can stack many miles and and be reliable to me, i have a hard time walking by my bike and not taking it for a spin, i am about 5' 10" and 160lbs. thanks guys.

If you frequent the CRF/X forum you will see that the Honda is far from maintaince friendly. Lots of engine - especially valve - problems. The KLX and WR are both very reliable and proven bikes. The WR would be better for jumping, but at your weight you will need to respring either bike, but the KLX moreso. They are both good bikes. Of course we are biased towards the KLX. It will smoke the WR in tight technical stuff. The bottom end is better on the KLX. Top end probably better on the WR.

It will smoke the WR in tight technical stuff. The bottom end is better on the KLX. Top end probably better on the WR.

Probably is an understatement. The WR will run circles around the KLX. However like he said the KLX does have more low end. The average and below riders will be faster on the KLX in most stuff. However faster riders will be faster on the WR. Both are exceptional bikes and each has there strong points. I think I would go sit on them and buy whatever feels most comfortable. Both would have plenty of power. Don't know much about the CRFx but what is read here. Seems they do have some valve probs. :cry:

Hey Bill, how does your wife like that 200. I am considering one for mine. Am torn between that or a KDX. Would love to get her a CRF 230 but it is a little out of my price range. :cry:

Definitely hold off on the X, their valve problems are bad, and Honda has still done nothing to fix them, they are even releasing the '05 CRF450X with the valve problems. Between the WR and the KLX, the WR might be a bit tall for you, the KLX is a nice low bike that is great for shorter riders (especially in the technical stuff where you need your feet on the ground a lot). But that WR does have the magic buton....

She really likes the 200. She's not an agressive rider though. If your wife is more experienced or more agressive (and a bit taller) the KDX would be a good call. Smaller, lighter, less experienced or not agressive and the XR is a good call. It's significantly lighter than the 230. It's taller and I think a couple of pounds lighter than the 150. The little xr will chug up almost anything. Certainly anything my wife wants to climb, but it is just not "snappy". I'm having trouble taking her to the next level cause the front end on the xr just won't pop up without a lot of clutch. I may even buy a second one for my youngest son cause he's beanpole skinny yet quite tall. He doesn't have the upper body strength to wrestle a full size bike although he's tall enough - almost 5-9 but only 80 lbs. :cry: He needs something lighter yet still a bit taller than the smaller four strokes and the 200 is about the only thing out there that fits the bill. I may try putting on a big gun pipe and see if that will perk it up a bit.

Also, the XR's suspension is only good for maybe 115 lbs or so - and mild to moderate trail riding. Anything more and you will be bottoming it out constantly. (Actually that is for the newer XR200's. The older ones had better suspension - Pre 90's)

"The WR will run circles around the KLX."

i beg to differ my buddy has a 02 wr with free mods and i have a modded klx... in a straight line our bikes are dead even. i would say the only thing that might put the klx below the wr is the suspension. i dont know were your getting your info :cry: