Sign in to follow this  

which bike wr250, klx300,crf250x

I need help on which bike would suit me best wr 250, klx300, crf250x i ride some badlands, trails, and small jumping, i need a bike that i can stack many miles and and be reliable to me, i have a hard time walking by my bike and not taking it for a spin, i am about 5' 10" and 160lbs. thanks guys.

You're on the Yamaha list. Of course everyone is gonna say get the WR. But there's good reason for it (at least over the Honda). I used to ride red, but having switched over to blue, I'm very happy. The WR is very reliable; some guys have thousands of miles on 'em with no valve problems.

The Honda, on the other hand has bad valve problems, and with only 1 oil ring, uses up oil, which it can ill-afford. It holds less than 1 liter, so lots of CRF riders end up carrying extra oil when they ride.

Search this forum and the Honda forum too for 'valves', 'top end', 'dipstick', and other related terms.

Can't help you on the klx.

U were warned - get a WR. If u want a Honda get the CRF450R and do some mods for trail riding. A lot of the guys I ride with ride the CRF450 and it is a great bike. The only Kawasaki I have a lot exposure to is the KDX200 - and it is very reliable and great value for money. The WR is very reliable.

not all red bikes have valve/oil problems,mine definetly don't with 22 hours on a hour meter,sure there a few around but then its in its first year and was the top bikes sold this year so there a few more around.there are threads on the honda forum with bikes with no problems and a lot more hours than mine

it actually holds 1.5 litres, 750mm engine 750mm gearbox

and before you burn me down in flames i also got a 03 wr250 but prefer the handling and seat position of the honda imo

Here is my two cents...

I own the 2001 WR250F, I (5'10" 160) love it and have had no problems with it. Its a bit of a beast it stands taller than most and I feel it has a bit to much rake to the fork so its not so responsive in the tight stuff. It has a nice tall gearing for Dual Sport.. I have had it up to 83 mph (tracked by GPS)

My good friend just bought a KLX300. great bike for him he is not so aggressive. The build quality has a little to be desired but the price point comes in lower. It has a constant velocity carb, meaning that the slide is not directly connected to the throttle cable. It relies on engine vacuum to rasie the slide. This makes it feel a bit under powered. It allowed the KLX300 to come in under emission standards. Gets a green sticker in Cali. 6 speed!!!! :cry:

My other good friend has a CRF250X. Light and nimble with plent of power but he carries oil with him so he can fill up mid ride... :cry: Not as confident inspiring as my WR250 in a straight line through the rough stuff. I have also heard of valve issues but my buddy has not had his long enough. Gearing pretty low for anytime on dirt roads my buddies top speed is just over 60mph.

I have ridden all of these bikes a bunch so I do have first hand experience.

Final word..

For Long Dual sport trail rides and agressive rider.. WR250

For Long Dual sport trail rides and not so agressive rider.. KLX300.

For Local trail rides and track CRF250F.

not all red bikes have valve/oil problems,mine definetly don't with 22 hours on a hour meter,sure there a few around but then its in its first year and was the top bikes sold this year so there a few more around.there are threads on the honda forum with bikes with no problems and a lot more hours than mine

it actually holds 1.5 litres, 750mm engine 750mm gearbox

and before you burn me down in flames i also got a 03 wr250 but prefer the handling and seat position of the honda imo

Yeah, obviously not all CRF's have the valve problem. It probably depends on how it's ridden, maintained, etc. BUT it seems that they do have a high rate of valve problems, not necessarily in absolute terms, but certainly on a percentage basis when compared to the blue ones.

Sure, it's a first year bike, and will probably get better. But for now it's got problems, and Honda didn't address these problems in the 05 models.

It's not really relavent to quote how much oil is in the gearbox, since it's the .75 liters in the engine that gets burned up quickly and trashes the engine.

And just so you know I'm not holding a grudge, I rode a CRF and absolutely loved the way it felt. It handled pretty well in the tight stuff (better than my WR), but felt twitchy at higher speeds. It's a very comfortable bike, and if they ever get the reliablility sorted (and add a bit more top end oomph), I might get one myself.

I would buy the bikes in the following order #1 WR250, #2 CRF250X and just forget about the KLX! I used to ride a KLX, the bike has a low initial purchase price but it also comes with outdated/soft suspension, it's heavy, will barely run with stock jetting because it's jetted so lean, it''s hard starting when hot even after being rejetted and last of all it's just "a dog" when it comes to making power. Go with the WR250F you won't be sorry, can't comment on the CRF250X never ridden one but I have ridden the CRF450, nice bike.

first of all, the valve issue and oil buring issue on the honda are overstated. I know several people with the x, and r, no one has had any valve problems. My x is dual sported, tops out at around 70mph, "limiter", has 50 hours and 1100 miles, valves are perfect, burns almost no oil, 6.5 hours on this oil change and change in level on dipstick is barely perceptible, I am sure the yamaha is a great bike, but there are statements being made that are very much exagerated.

once again, i'm biased, but i've had virtually no problems with my WR.....once appropriately modified, it can handle pretty much anything....and is durable and reliable.

fair and honest comments barton,yeah it could be where i ride as over in england we don't see much dust just mud and more mud but i do give my honda a fair old hammering and so far so good :cry: but it is always in the back of my head when or if the valves are going to go south mainly because of what you read.

as for top end against my wr don't know yet as the yam has a electrical fault and is proving hard to find without buying loads of parts that i may not need,both bikes are fully modded up to the point of going into engine work i.e all free mods plus pipes and power now's(wr) would still stick with honda then definitly yam second klx? mates got on looks nice but my honda and i expect the yam will keep up with it and would pass it in wet condition's due to sloppy front end

its nice to have a good discussion about the bikes without the bu##sh#t