Sign in to follow this  

Oil change tip on XR400

I had seen some of the guys posting about changing the oil in their Xr's with skid plates and what a pain it can be to drain the crankcase without making a real mess. I have seen some of the guys using a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe about 4 inches long and an extension on the socket to remove the bolt and drain the oil without making a mess.

Needless to say when I was changing the oil on my XR 400 this weekend, I didn't have any pvc to use. Instead I found an empty mountain dew bottle (24 oz variety) and cut a "window" in the side about 2" wide and 4" long. 180 degrees from the window on the BOTTOM of the bottle (where the nubs are that the bottle sits on) I cut the nub closest to the ground off. When I had my new "tool" made. (took all of 2 minutes, and one of those was looking for my knife). I put the top of the bottle over the drain bolt, and used the aforementioned socket and extension to remove the bolt. The nice thing about this is that I didn't have to worry about pulling the bolt all the way out of the bottle for it to drain good like you would if you were using the pipe. I just held the end of the bottle over the drain pan and didn't spill a drop!

Hope this helps someone

I posted how to use the PVC pipe. It's in my FAQ.

The empty pop bottle is a good idea for other bikes too.

Now, if you can think of a soft coupling for bikes like the CRF, so they don't drool all over themselves.

(P.S. the bottle recyclers will hate you.) :cry:

i just take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it over a couple of times and make a little trough that slides under the drain hole and remove the bolt and watch the river go into my drain pan. works great, no mess, and just throw the foil away when done so you don't have to clean anything up and store it.

i just take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it over a couple of times and make a little trough that slides under the drain hole and remove the bolt and watch the river go into my drain pan. works great, no mess, and just throw the foil away when done so you don't have to clean anything up and store it.

Same with me. I used to basically oil the driveway, but NO MORE! Whoohoo for not being dumb. (me, not you :cry: )

Another thing that is usually handy and does the job is the cardboard tube from the inside of a roll of paper towels. Just cut the top 1/2 of the tube off for the 1st 4 -> 6" so you can get your socket+extension in place and you are good to go.

The hazardous waste collection depot here :cry: that takes the used motor oil also takes the used filters too. :cry: :cry: