Sign in to follow this  

Meniscectomies vs repair

Alright..i must be gettin jumpy as my surgery draws near(this wednesday), but i keep having all these questions pop into my head at weird times of the day...on top of the patella bone graft to reconstruct my ACL, the doc is also going to repair or remove my medial and possibly my lateral meniscus while in there as the MRI showed a definete tear to the medial and a possible one to the lateral. She said, if possible, she is going to repair them, but will make my recovery time quite a bit longer...vs removing them to where it wont be as long. Has anyone had them completly removed...how well does your knee work without them? She told me that if she repairs them that my knee may need to be locked in extension for several weeks...and stupid me forgot to ask why?? Whats would you recomend...repair, or remove??

In the long run, I think you would be better off to get the meniscus repaired. You really should discuss this with your surgeon, especially the part about what's going to be better for your knee 5 or 10 years from now. 2-3 extra months of down time now may be worth it. I would hate to take the quick fix today if it means bigger problems down the road.

Repair is way better than removal. Only downside is recovery time. I had a repair and could not bear weight on my knee for about four weeks. It made rehab challenging, but that's better than bone-to-bone contact in the knee.

I would say repair but that is a question that you will have to ask youself no one can tell you what to do. Get some ideas and go from there.