Sign in to follow this  

Which bikes can run on Mexican gas?

Hello All,

I'm shopping for a new bike, and am looking at the DRZ400E or XR400R. I will be doing some riding in Mexico, using Mexican gas. My understanding is high octane gas is not readily available in Mexico, especially in Baja. So my question is, which bike can best handle low octane gas? I know the DRZ400S comes with a knock sensor, but I don't want the S model. Will I have to use some type of octane booster?

Mike.

You should be fine on the standard (87?) US grade of gas for the E model drz, however most people run 89 stock from what I hear. Won't need any super-special gas for either bike. But I have no idea the quality of gas in mexico. I'm fairly certain you won't need any sort of octane booster, so long as you're not running a 13.5:1 compression piston on a drz with hotcams or the likes. Should be fine in stock forms. So long as mexican gas isn't complete shite, that is.

my 2 cents

Nothing runs well on Mexican gas. It has a lot of water it in and does not ignite well. Octane booster?? Could not tell you but I have put Mexican gas in trucks and boats and after a tank or two vehicles of any nature to not like to shut off. They keep coughing and trying to do something but I dont know what you would call it. If it was me I would get the XR as it is a more bullet proof bike overall and may treat you better on the long haul. Mexican gas in no bueno in my book. :cry:

<font color="navy">As long as you haven't modified the XR much (e.g., high compression piston, overbore, etc.), it should run okay on Mexican gas. Be sure to put a fuel filter in the line though (and bring spares for when it clogs).

I did a Baja run a couple years ago, with my xr650r. My buddy rode his xr400, his friend a xr600, a guy with a KTM 520 and 650l. All of us typically run 90 or 91 octane and none of these bikes had any trouble running on Mexican gas.

Yea, I've loged many miles in both my truck and wiht my CRF and have never had any trouble whatsoever.

People worry to much.

People worry to much.

Exactly!

In the old days Pemex wasn't too good. Now it's fine.

Just don't run a hi-compression motor because you might not be able to get the Premium every place. You'll be stuck (in most cases) with low octane and it's totally fine.

Getting Pemex from someone's backyard barrel is sometimes crappy.

The biggest problem with Pemex is at the stations making sure (if you're paing in dollars) you're getting enough change back. Do the math yourself.

Hello All,

I'm shopping for a new bike, and am looking at the DRZ400E or XR400R. I will be doing some riding in Mexico, using Mexican gas. My understanding is high octane gas is not readily available in Mexico, especially in Baja. So my question is, which bike can best handle low octane gas? I know the DRZ400S comes with a knock sensor, but I don't want the S model. Will I have to use some type of octane booster?

Mike.

An S will run on low grade gas just fine,, An E will not.. Easy enough fix,, set of rings, a base and head gasket, and you are at the S CR.. Back in biz.. And BTW, the S does not have a knock sensor,, not sure where ya got that from,, but not on a DRZ.

Octane booster is an alternitive,, if you will be able to carry enough.. Me,, I might take a bit,, but only for when the bike set up to run low grade stuff, still has a problem on that 1 of 100 fill ups across the border.

As others have said,, Get your fuel from a station,, you should have no problems

I think it depends on the station. I grew up on the border and remember when the quality was poor, but these days it is pretty good (it is also more expensive and they restrict the importation of US gas because of this).

I preran a race in Rocky Point on local gas (from a popular, busy service station) and had no problems on my '03 CRF. I noticed no difference at all from the Super I brought with me that I used for the actual race.

:cry:

The biggest problem with Pemex is at the stations making sure (if you're paing in dollars) you're getting enough change back. Do the math yourself.

It's good to pay attention at the station; there are a number of scams pulled by attendents which can usually be avoided by simply paying attention to what they're doing: make sure they zero the pump and if they ever stop it during the process, freeze everything right there and take an accounting: don't let them restart it and do some magic correction. ;>

If I've ever been ripped off, the guys were smooth enough so I didn't catch it, but I've heard a lot of stories...

Another fairly common detail a but harder to pin down is inaccurate pumps. Which almost universally err to the benefit of the station, strangely enough. :cry:

Note that the attendents DON'T make very much and tipping is a friendly option if they play straight and are helpful.

--Larry

Octane booster is an alternitive,, if you will be able to carry enough..

I've always wondered if a bit of diesel would work as a makeshift octane booster. Anybody know?

--Larry

PEMEX is better gas then we can buy here in the states...ESPECIALLY california...they dont have EPA [@#$%&*!] regualting their gas and they dont have to put gas addtiives for certain times of year...

the problem with mexican gas is the tanks...they are old and rusted and crappy...ive used gas from several pemex stations and they all work fine...some better then others.

My suggestion is to put a fuel filter on the bikes and carry spares.

Rode 300 miles or the BAja 1000 course this last November. No problems in the CRF450X. Thought is was weird that the gas was red, but then it matched the bike. Cool in the clear IMS tank.

PEMEX GAS SUCKS!!! ITS PINK AND HAS HIGH WATER CONTENT!

DO NOT USE MEXICAN GAS!!

In another thread I wrote about my friends rides there, and I have been there a couple times to party or visit. Cars, bikes, lawnmowers (dont ask) HATE PEMEX.

:thumbsup:

Just buy your gas from a busy filling station that goes through a lot of product. What you want is fresh gas, which you will get from a place that is busy. The gas down there is not as bad as most people make it out to be.

Can you bring in your own gas? I will be in San Felipe at the end of June and never thought about the gas situation until reading this thread. Is there a problem if you carry in a few 5 gallon gas cans?

Can you bring in your own gas? I will be in San Felipe at the end of June and never thought about the gas situation until reading this thread. Is there a problem if you carry in a few 5 gallon gas cans?

No problems bringing your own fuel.

I'd be more worried about running Mex gas in my van than in my bikes. If I brought gas with me, that's what I'd use it for. :thumbsup:

First, absolutely get Mexican insurance when you cross the border.

It's been a long time since I drove down there, but one rule I had was never pass a gas station without filling up. The next gas station might be 100 miles away. I always topped off my tank, even if it was over 1/2 full.

The Mexican government strategy was to place gas stations in towns about a 1/2 gas tank apart. Usually there is another gas station every 100 miles and they are marked on AAA maps of Baja. However, if you pull into a gas station that is sold out of gas, you are stuck waiting for the gas truck. I've been there done that. I just keep the tank full.

Get some pesos and pay for the gas in pesos.

LA Bay use to only have leaded regular. (1987) Remote gas stations may still only have one grade of gasoline. If you are stuck, look for an airport. They have better gasoline, but it's more expensive.

"Holidays in Hell" by PJ ORorke is a funny book and makes a great driving guide in the 3rd world. I followed his advice to the letter and didn't have a problem driving the length of Baja and back. Drive slow in the cities was a great tip. I rolled at the speed limit of 15 mph, right past a speed trap. They could only smile as I putted by. Many more fun tips.