Sign in to follow this  

At some point do the valves lessen the frequency of necessary valve a

Has anyone notice that at some point the frequency of valve adjustment slows?? Are the valve seats the problem, or the head material?? And is it found on most all bike or a just some % of them??

Merlinn

Mine have never moved from the factory setting in 500+ miles of hard riding.

After the first two hours mine tightened up. After the next four hours they did not and I have not checked them since my last six hour ride. This is for a TE250. The TE450 and 510 turn a lot fewer rpm's and will probably need much less valve adjusting.

Which bike do you have?

Greg

My valves slowly tightend up over a long careful break-in (8 tanks of gas, the hardest thing I've ever done)When they finally needed ajustment I had George Erl set'em and dial in the jetting. Since then I have raced 6 times, trail ridden and gone to the track a ton of times and everything is good.

George schooled me on why I should break the bike in easy...so I tried it. I "rode it like I broke my foot" for as much as possable, I took the bike out 5 times for the day or weekend, after about 8+ tanks of mellow riding, it started to get hard to start (the valve's were getting tight). Once corrected the bike has been flawless ever since.

The only unusual thing I do is mix 1 gallon leaded race gas to 4 gallons unleaded (a little lead for cushion). That and religious oil changes and filter cleaning has worked so far. :cry:

04' TE450

:cry: