Sign in to follow this  

XR650R DUAL SPORT CONVERSION IN NC

Anyone had experience getting an off-road only bike licensed in North Carolina? I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a kit only to find out I can't get it licensed.

So I should "sell" it to a friend in Virginia, then have the friend get a Virginia title? Then, of course, the friend would "sell" it to me and I could get a NC title.

You've got the idea. A friend did all the conversion work, on his drz400e, and sent off for the title. They gave him a tag and registration. Three weeks later sent him a certified letter requesting that he turn the tags back in to the DVM office. It seems that they are in the transition of eliminating dirt bike conversions. There is no law against it yet but you have to fight the system. He is in the process of trying to make them pay for the title fees and the price of the conversion since he was given written instructions on the process. We will see.

Where in NC are you? I'm in Fayetteville.

Ray

I'm in Nashville (near Rocky Mount). I've been reading conflicting posts about being able to get a Vermont title from outside Vermont, but since NC does not title off-road bikes, I don't have one to send them to be transferred. Of course it would have been nice to buy one already converted and licensed, but I got a good deal on this one.

Henry