Sign in to follow this  

More Stability

I have a KX100 which has pretty good suspension compared to my old XR. The problem I am having is I feel like I cannot keep up in the open sections that are rocky, or bumby. My bike is pretty light and float around which I am used to, but it starts to feel pretty unstable over the bumpy terrain when I hit 3rd gear. If I keep it pinned it is not as bad but as soon as I get off the gas my bars want to cross up. Sometimes I will be on the gas and hit a bump or dip and they will do the same thing. :cry: My front forks have compression adj only. Is this something that can be helped with revalving, and adding rebound? The bike is smaller, lighter and has the smaller tires so I expect it will not be as stable as the bigger bikes. Any suggestions on how to improve the stability?

well yes you are at a disadvantage on that smaller bike and old school suspension,---you can do some trial and error set up and valving and springs and oils with not a whole lot of help------it sounds like you are getting ready for a better suspended bike with more wokable modern suspenders on it ----------you could put a different fork and shock on it but thats not cheep-----i just fitted my 04 ttr 125 with yz forks and shock ,----now i can make the thing work,----but thats for a pit bike class racer and the suspension is worth more than the whole bike :cry:------you might try snugging up your steering head berrings where it has some resitance like a damper would ,---this helps ,try messuring your ride height in the rear and make adjustaments to that ( more and less ) and see whats feels better ---and make sure your tire pressure is fairly low ----10 or 11 maybe and not 15 or 18------i run 8 in my pit bike ,-but thats just me ---and put a tie strap on one fork leg and see if your bottem it or if it is to stiff and adj oil height and springs from there for starters !!!

You may also want to try raising the forks a cpl mm's up in the clamps. If it's trying to shake while your coming up to speed then the frt. end is to light and will dance around.

Also if you have to much rear sag it will do the same thing. If it also wants to try and go wide through the corners then you are on the right track.

doc

I talked with Phil at aftershocks and he said that the stock KX100 is setup for like a 90-100 pound rider. Also its out of balance.

I went to RaceTech's web page and sure enough it confirmed that my girlfriends KX100 could use heavier springs.

I had the same problems with my KTM. I had heavier springs and had it revavled and those problems went away.

You might give iMoto.com a call they do MX-Tech suspension and I think they are closer to you (They are in Livermore)

Suspension is the single best place to spend $$$ on a dirt bike. If you get it dailed in, it will improve your riding more than anything else.

Cheers,

Thanks, OHVrider. Man, butt it way too big for this bike. :cry: When I went to race tech's site I thought it was set up for a 115lb rider, I'm around 125-130lb. What makes the suspension "out of balance"? I have never heard that before. I will give those guys a call. Unfortuatly I don't have the extra $$$ to spend now, but I am just thinking ahead. I would just like to keep up on the bumpy straight aways? :cry:

I don't remember exactly what Phil said, but I'd guess that one end is much softer than the other and causes the bike to behave funny at speed or on whoops. My KTM darted all over the place cause I was way too heavy for it. Had Phil respring and revavle it and it was much better.

Its best to give the suspension guys as much info as possible so they know how you ride etc. Something like 80% trails 10% MX, 10% CC really helps. The more info the better it will be.

Also it helps to go local cause you can try it (Takes a while for new springs to break in) then come back and get some minor adjustments if you can't dail it in just with the clickers. Since your bike does not have fully adjustable front forks I think that would be a good plan.

If/When I redo my YZ I plan to goto MX-Tech in Livermore. Thinking about try the Enzo subtanks as well, but need more info first.

Good luck,