Sign in to follow this  

DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SPARK ARRESTOR

This story was in the land use area, but I though more would see it here. it is another reason you should not remove the arrestor if you ride trails. CYOA!!!

The story

Quoting BrandonW from the same story thread in Off-Topic

This happened in my back yard.

This will be important for several reasons, one of which being: How will this area and community react to off-road motorcycle use?

The facts, as I know them, are that some guys were out riding during a very hot and dry season around here. They were hill-climbing, and one of them laid the bike over. The header was super-hot, and something started to smolder. They tried to put it out, it got out of hand, so they got out of dodge.

Word on the streets is that these guys rode there often, and people saw them there that day.

The fire started, and the community reacted to its' best ability.

When the forest service started to investigate, one of the first things they did was go to local motorcycle shops to see who was buying spark arrestors.

When Unger's name appeared on that list, they went to talk to him. While there, they asked to inspect his bike. They found a very dirty airfilter and a bike that was back-firing.

Long story short, they pinned the fire on Unger. They say that it was caused by not having a spark arrestor pipe, but then they turn around and think the fire started by laying the bike down (where a fire would start regardless if the pipe was arrested or not).

So, this area is VERY conservative, but now I get the evil-eye while riding out here. What will the reaction be to this disaster?

He was riding a YZ540f with no spark arrestor, which tells me he was not legally equipped to be out there. Will they punish/restrict us law-abiders?

This is a very sad, unfortunate event, but I hope that there is no backlash upon the legally equipped riders of the area.

Unger is in a very bad spot for such a young age.

ive seen several smolderings start with 4 stroke headers...ive started a few creosol bushes smoldering while waiting for the start of a race in the dez...but they go out.

Ouch! Someone's insurance is going to go through the roof now! What a shame.

Ahah,

Thats a whole bunch of Bull. But last weekend I caught a pine needle inbetween my header and coolant hose while riding last week. Started smelling something burning and I look down at my pipe and there it is smoking up :cry: :cry: :cry:.