Sign in to follow this  

How $3 saved 2 bikes and a weekend of riding

A group of us were up in PA riding this past weekend in and around Paragon Park and on day 1, my buddy somehow had a rock log between the base of his kickstarter and his case on the KDX220, He kicked it over and push the rock into the outer case and knocked out 2 quarter sized pieces of th cluth cover... 15 Minutes later, we where riding again... Took off the clutch cover, cleaned up the edges abit, applied some JB Weld type stuff to edge and a thin coating to the inside and outside of the cover. 10 minutes after that, away we went.....

Day 2, while climbing a rock infested hill, someone else decided to work his way down that same hill, I got alittle of my line and smacked a rock. (Skid Plate???) It pushed through the plastic right next to the frame and pushed in the magneto side cover about the size of a 1/2 dollar. that made 3 crackes that oil was pouring out of... Cleaned it with gas, pushed the stuff into the crackes and a thin layer on top of that and off we went again... Don't remember the name of the stuff, but it was purchased at Walmart. to activate it all you do is cut off a piece the size you need, then roll and mend it until it turns to one color. Grey on the outside, black in the middle...

Would'nt trust that stuff too long on the inside!!! If pieces come off you will have it pumping with your oil! I used that same stuff to patch my radiator one time on my snowmobile up in the U-P .It was called like steel something i think? Woked good too! did it two years ago and its still on there! :cry:

Would'nt trust that stuff too long on the inside!!! If pieces come off you will have it pumping with your oil! I used that same stuff to patch my radiator one time on my snowmobile up in the U-P .It was called like steel something i think? Woked good too! did it two years ago and its still on there! :cry:

On my bike it's only on the outside, the cracks were paper thin and I will be replacing the case. The other guy already ordered his part to replace his case this morning...

Its called 5 minute steel. I won't go riding without it from now on. JB Weld also makes a product very similar that cures in about 5 minutes.

I've never had to use it on my bike, but the stuff I have in my pack is called "Quick Steel" and I've had to give a chunk to help riders in the woods before. THe stuff is great. My stuff sets in about 20 minutes you can ride away.

I've also used that type of stuff on pleny of clutch covers, I've never replaced a cover, just jb welded it and it lasted for years.

I've been to paragon last week, I could see needing that stuff up there.....:-)

I know a guy who worked for Honda, Bob Bennett and he lived in Co for some years before he moved back here, he states that you NEVER off road without this in your fanny pack and that it get used up quite fast some times...

but the stuff I have in my pack is called "Quick Steel"

Yep, Quick Steel... :cry: I have the 10 minute JB Weld also, but the Quick Steel is much easier to use. I don't know if one is better than the other?

Mike -

I know a guy who worked for Honda, Bob Bennett and he lived in Co for some years before he moved back here, he states that you NEVER off road with this in your fanny pack and that it get used up quite fast some times...

its one of the few things i carry trail riding. :cry:

I used Quicksteel on an XT250 where I bottumed out and it took a nasty 2" gouge right in the bottum of the case and oil was gushing out. I took it home, cleaned it off and put that quicksteel on it and rode for about 2 years after that and it did leak just a few drops here and there. I would say it worked great, had I put more time into it, I probably could have fixed the leak completely had I spent more time on it, but was fine for what I wanted. Got rid of the bike and even pointed out the quicksteel fix to the buyer. Was very impressed with that stuff!