Sign in to follow this  

Crack smoking in the new millenium

What gives? Please someone tell me!

Let me explain.

My first dirt bike was a '90 CR250. Picked it up used in '93 for like $1,500. Worked to the balls.

Great bike. Sold it 'cause it was too much for me for a first dirt bike.

Next bike: used '91 KX125. Excellent condition, paid $1,600 in '94. Great bike.

Wanted to try something different, so I grabbed a '92 KDX200. Paid $1,400 in '96.

OK, in the 90's, these prices were considered average for these 3 to 5-year-old bikes.

OK, well, it is now about ten years later. I've had a recent nostalgic itch for one of those old dirtbikes.

Before scouring the ads, I assumed these early 90's bikes were gonna be in the $500-$900 range.

After all, it is ten-plus years later.

WRONG. :cry: There are crack smoking bike owners that are asking $1,200-$1,800 for these things.

The bottom line is, unless the thing is MINT MINT MINT and you slept with it in your bedroom,

the bike will probably need some degree of overhauling.

So, you end up now with a 'real' price of around $2,000 and up. :cry:

Meanwhile, I see plenty of bikes from the late 90's and early 2000's going for a tick over $2,000.

Mind you, these things are much more tech advanced, etc

It does not add up. These people are nuts, in my opinion, and need to be stopped and sent to rehab.

Hell, I even see people asking like $800 for air-cooled trail bikes from the 70's.

Are you kidding me

Is it because people hope to get their aftermarket mod money back? I don't think so. :cry:

Look, I'm not really bothered. More like fascinated by what's happening in the used bike market.

CAN I GET A WITNESS

<font color="navy">You may not like it, but it's what the market bears. If someone is willing to fork over the cash, the prices on those used, air-cooled, trail bikes will continue to stay high. They're not on crack if they're getting what they are asking for...

Simple supply and demand. As the beat up ones disappear the good ones left command more $. These will never be manufactured again, so it is a closed market. Less availability = more $. By 2010 my Can-Am should be worth millions. :cry:

i think the problem is that there are people who buy out of newspapers who don't realize the used bike market is in the toilet right now (at least on the internet). technologically savvy buyers are (imho) more likely to get a late-model bike in nice shape for 2-3k than spend 1,800-2000 on a 10 yr old bike, whether or not the owner slept with it.

mw

WRONG. :cry: There are crack smoking bike owners that are asking $1,200-$1,800 for these things.

Yes, but what are they actually getting for these things? Some may not sell at all...

In the classifieds here currently there is only one older bike listed, a 92 XL 250 for $1,000. :cry:

A friend of mine recently sold his '95 KX 250, not in perfect shape cosmetically, call it 75%, but probably 85% mechanically and got $1,100. A pretty good ride for than kind of money.

Like you sometimes I wonder about what folks are thinking when they try to sell their old bikes. But I think that $500 is hardly worth the effort involved and that is why you don't see many $500 bikes.

Its called inflation. I sold my 84 IT200 in 98 and got what I paid for it new. Of course, that bike was mint, wish I'd have just kept it.

QUOTE "Yes, but what are they actually getting for these things?"

True, I didn't consider what they actually end up getting for them.

JUST A STORY:

Not too long ago, an acquaintance had a '96 KDX200 for sale.

A little beat, but otherwise working. He was asking $1,200

I told him I'll take it for 750, because it'll need a tune-up, handlebars (bent),

full suspension freshening (all sacked out), expansion chamber (smashed),

rear wheel bearings (shot) and tires (bald).

The guy thought I was nuts for throwing this offer at him.

I was like, no man, YOU'RE nuts! hand over those vials right now

yeah, obviously someone out there may buy it for that price,

but it's a sad state of affairs

I'd say you probably got a good deal on these bikes back in the 90's

My first dirt bike was a '90 CR250. Picked it up used in '93 for like $1,500

Current Kelly Blue-Book is $1425

Next bike: used '91 KX125. Excellent condition, paid $1,600 in '94

Current Kelly Blue-Book is $1335

I grabbed a '92 KDX200. Paid $1,400 in '96

Current Kelly Blue-Book is $1250

At least those are the Blue Book values for my area - Northern California

These people are nuts, in my opinion, and need to be stopped and sent to rehab.

-i agree, everybody thinks they own a jewel but can't remember the last time they changed the oil. :cry:

Wow- those values are higher than I would have guessed.

Unbelievable

They're almost like Harleys

For Sale:

1996 HD Sporster 883- drag pipes, over 10K in chrome, Custom Paint job,

won't last! MSTA asking $14,000

Back in the 90's the local papers had a section for auto listed as under $1000, that same section is now under $3000. Looking through the ads I get the impression that a running bike in decent shape is worth at least a $1000.

What gives? Please someone tell me!

Let me explain.

My first dirt bike was a '90 CR250. Picked it up used in '93 for like $1,500. Worked to the balls.

Great bike. Sold it 'cause it was too much for me for a first dirt bike.

Next bike: used '91 KX125. Excellent condition, paid $1,600 in '94. Great bike.

Wanted to try something different, so I grabbed a '92 KDX200. Paid $1,400 in '96.

OK, in the 90's, these prices were considered average for these 3 to 5-year-old bikes.

OK, well, it is now about ten years later. I've had a recent nostalgic itch for one of those old dirtbikes.

Before scouring the ads, I assumed these early 90's bikes were gonna be in the $500-$900 range.

After all, it is ten-plus years later.

The bottom line is, unless the thing is MINT MINT MINT and you slept with it in your bedroom,

the bike will probably need some degree of overhauling.

So, you end up now with a 'real' price of around $2,000 and up. :lol:

Meanwhile, I see plenty of bikes from the late 90's and early 2000's going for a tick over $2,000.

Mind you, these things are much more tech advanced, etc

It does not add up. These people are nuts, in my opinion, and need to be stopped and sent to rehab.

Hell, I even see people asking like $800 for air-cooled trail bikes from the 70's.

Are you kidding me

Is it because people hope to get their aftermarket mod money back? I don't think so. :cry:

Look, I'm not really bothered. More like fascinated by what's happening in the used bike market.

CAN I GET A WITNESS

Ask me how much I want for my 1979 CR250R Elsinore. :cry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::cry: :cry:

James that is the best avatar i have ever seen :cry:

Amen to that. Damn funny.

I agree. Crack smoking is at an all time high, and the bike market is inflated. Just because it's an antique, doesn't mean I'm gonna pay antique prices. I won't pay that kind of money for used ( beat to hell) bikes, so I buy new and try to keep them as long as I can. Just my 2 cents.

James that is the best avatar i have ever seen :cry:

Amen to that. Damn funny.

I agree. Crack smoking is at an all time high, and the bike market is inflated. Just because it's an antique, doesn't mean I'm gonna pay antique prices. I won't pay that kind of money for used ( beat to hell) bikes, so I buy new and try to keep them as long as I can. Just my 2 cents.

While you may feel this way and I don't blame you, there are plenty out there who don't feel that way and are more than willing to pay the price. A lot has to do with nostalgia and getting the bike you had when you were younger. The older used bike market is going really strong right now.

Don't worry, it will cool off with the economy.

I've got a 83 XR500R that I bought for $400 about three years ago which was in prety bad shape. I rode it a hand full of times and since then rebuilt it practically from the ground up and have $2250 invested in it as it sits. I've only ridin it about three or four times on trails since the rebuild because I bought a new WR450. I'm trying to sell it now in the bikes for sale here on TT. All the things that have been done to it are on that thread, list too long to post again.

XR500right2.jpgxr500right.jpgXR500left.jpg

What do you think I should sell it for $500, I don't think so. I know I won't get what I have in it but would like to get something over a 1K at least since the whole thing has been rebuild and is a dependable bike. What do you guys think would be a good asking price?

very nice bike, shame your selling it. Don't look at me, my garage is packed.

I wouldn't be shy to ask at least $1500, doesn't mean you'll get it, but you have a lot invested in it. Puts you in a tough spot if you need to sell it quick. There's also a lesson somewhere in there about spending too much on tricking out an older bike. You have to set limits and be frugal. But still,, very nice bike. :cry:

While you may feel this way and I don't blame you, there are plenty out there who don't feel that way and are more than willing to pay the price. A lot has to do with nostalgia and getting the bike you had when you were younger. The older used bike market is going really strong right now.

Don't worry, it will cool off with the economy.

Wow ! An opposing point of view expressed without flaming someone ? Refreshing. Usually when you post a difference of opinion, the first line contains a reference to one's mother. Much appreciated , JohnnyOfast.