Sign in to follow this  

Tires: Give me your opinions

I have been using the d756's since I got my fo fitty. I like them, but maybe there are some better tires out there. They also wear like pencil erasers, wich sucks. I have tried the Maxxis tires but don't liek them. I have been thinking about trying different tires. I ride in So cal, only tracks, and most of the tracks are intermediate and loamy. For CA riders: I ride I5 MX, racetown, Glen helen, and perris. I hardly ride elsinore, where the dirt is like cement.

I have been thinking about the dunlop 739's or trying bridgestones or something. Any suggestions?

Antman,

I too have tried every dam Dunlop, the Maxxis Surcross (s/b the suckcross), Michelin starcross tires. I recently was going back to the Starcross's and was told they discontinued the front starcross and they shipped a Michelin "cross competition". Let me tell you that tire is the best front tire I have used to date. Last weekend rode trails and track and it handled great in loam and hard pack.

I have the starcross rear on but will be tryiing the CC rear next time to complement the front CC.

Don :cry:

My '04 CRF450 came stock with Pirelli's. They slid in mud and on hard pack. These tires did not work for this bike unless the conditions were perfect, which is rare here in Alberta, Canada. I bought the D756's for front and rear. These tires work great in all conditions. Yes, they wear a little fast. D756's must be good tires because most pro racers use them and they are the only tire that offer a Race Replica option.

I like the 756's but I have also heard that the 739 are really good and that the Bridgestone M601 and M602 are really good too.

Just thought I would try some others. I have not tried the 756rr's yet though. Kinda pricey.

DonO, which cross competition tire are you talking about, m12 or s12? I have have found the Michelin m12 front and s12 rear make the the best tire combo. Alot of guys run this setup here in the NW.

Stock Pirelli's.....must be a Canada bike.

The Pirelli MT16 is a great intermediate rear tire.

I know you didn't get the MT16 as a stocker. The MT16 wears long and hooks up good till the very end.

If they were not so expensive, I'd only run them out back.

756rr front, mich ms2 starcross rear. :cry:

I didnt have good luck with the 739 in any type of loamy dirt, on intermediate to hard it worked ok.

Dale, I'll have to look again but I don't think it had a number anywhere, that's why I was hesitant to have it put on to begin with. I'll check tonight more closely.

Don :cry:

My preference is the Michelin M12 front and MH2 rear. The rear is the best combo of wear and traction across all conditions that I have found. The front is the best all around tire and it wears great. I usually run a front for an entire season and it still performs good.

I tried the MT22 by Pirrele(sp) and liked it a good amount, but usually just close my eyes and grab the D756 and not look at the price and how quick they wear down. I try to enjoy the knobby while i can.

S-12's are great tires until you encounter any hardpack. If I only road loam, I would choose s-12's or their ms2. I've been running b-stone 401's all season. They wear a tiny bit better than 756's, but perform the same(never tried 756rr). The main track I ride has enough hardpack to make any sand tire seem skatey. I've never used the starcross, but I think they might be my next tire, just to see.

Good luck, but if you prefer performance over wear, I'd stick with dunlops or b-stones. If you prefer wear over performance, maxxis seems to be very popular. If you prefer a combo of both, michelins work.

Another vote here for Michelin MS2. I have them on front and rear. I have had them on soft tracks,in mud in the rain,dry hard tracks, and in the woods this season and they work great and they wear well for a soft terrain tire. I would buy them again. :cry:

First call for Bridgestone M401 and M402....front and rear combo. This in the intermediate combo and works well on a wide range of conditions and wears very well. M201 and M202 for softer ground....talk about hook up.... :cry:

Wow, a lot of opinions. That's really cool, but I guess asking what tires you prefer is like asking what sexual lubricant is the best. :cry:

And yes, I know what everyone is going to say. Mobil 1, red cap is the best for sexual lubrication!

My preference is the Michelin M12 front and MH2 rear. The rear is the best combo of wear and traction across all conditions that I have found. The front is the best all around tire and it wears great. I usually run a front for an entire season and it still performs good.

Same combo for me. My conditions are groomed intermediate dirt with hardpack jump faces. The m12 front has 80 hrs and needs changing as 4 knobs recently chunked and the leading edges are somewhat rounded. The Mh2 rear lasts 40 hrs. New has 15mm tall knobs and at 40 hrs has 10mm tall knobs. This is my second rear to achieve this wear. The knobs keep a square leading edge to them for a long time. performance is very good.

the s12's have a tendency to chunk knobs if you are on any hardpack.

Granted, I'm on a 250f but a 450 should see better wear using this combo than any dunlop. Most of my bud's on 450's rarely get more than 15-20 hrs out of their rear using 756's or m12's. Mh2 is more expensive but you'll get almost twice the wear.